Is it okay for a toddler to want to play independently all day??

When I get on the floor he still likes to do his own thing. We're always talking and singing and he shows me things all the time, but normaly he just plays on his own. Is that normal? He's 21 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it shows he has a great imagination...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• very normal, he's hasn't learn with cooperative play is yet. mentally and pyschologically he's too young. now once he's 3, he'll better understand that i can share and still have fun. does he go to daycare or are around other kids his age?
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Kiwi has always done that. She'd prefer to entertain herself playing than play w/me unless it's something that has to have more than one person (like candy land or something) and even then she'll sometimes set up animals or dolls around the board and play w/them. It's a good thing for children to do that. It helps them to be independent and makes it where you won't be pulling his shirt on when he's 6 years old. Good for him and you! :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I think it's kind of a personality thing, too. My little one is 21 months and just like that. She wants people around (me, her sister), but she plays on her own. My first daughter wanted us to participate in all of her pretend play at that age... she's just now starting to play more on her own.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Thanks everyone!!

It's usually just my husband, myself, and him! When there are other kids around (his nieces) he's always interested in what they're doing but will still just take what they have and play by himself or run around chasing them.

It's definitely nice right now as I'm pregnant and hopefully him being independent will be easier when the baby comes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My son is 2 1/2 a very independent. He always has been. I've never though of it as a problem. I think he's a cool little dude.
    Anonymous

• That's a sign that a toddler has high self esteems, is imaginative, and independent. My oldest is that way. It's great, just be sure you don't leave your toddler alone too much. Interject here and there.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2010