I had gastric bypass and lost 40 pounds in 3 months then stalled a month. Has anyone taken HCG drops to help burn fat? My doc recomended it. Please let me know even if you only had gastric bypass and plateaued

I eat 500 calories a day workout alot and follow my post gastric diet any advice would be great i will be ttc in a year trying to get fit and healthy

proudmwdwife

Asked by proudmwdwife at 11:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• It you are only eating 500 calories a day and working out you are sending your body into starvation mode and it will hang on to every last bit of fat it can to "help you survive" Eventually your body will start to eat it's muscles too on a diet so low in calories. I'm surprised any doctor would recommend this as it's very dangerous. Congrats on your weight loss but you may find eating a bit more or adding in a couple hundred more calories will kick your weight loss back in to gear. Counter intuitive I know but try it and see. At the very least discuss your diet with your doctor. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I really hate to burst your bubble, but having gastric bypass surgery basically means you're currently tanking your metabolism due to the small number of calories you are eating, which is sending the body into Starvation Mode. Gastric bypass surgery is a huge giant scam, much like HGC drops. You would have been better off to eat right and exercise instead of taking the so-called easy way out. Welcome to your future of purees, dumping syndrome and diarrhea.
    Anonymous

• I actually have a hard time eating 500 calories a day I eat alot of protein I had the gastric bypaa even though i was only 80 pounds overweight due to a heart attack in oct. My diebetes is gone and im losing inches even though i have plateaued. I take a great multivitamin and great supplements. I drink alot of water as well. I know that hcg worked for my friend who was in the same boat. i just want to make a well rounded decision. Also the hcg is free to me so i guess im wondering since i have nothing to lose money wise by taking it ahould i try it. I eat about 500 cals a day but i only burn about 450 or so and the gastric has helped me alot. And havent dumped yet. thanks for the awnsers
    proudmwdwife

Answer by proudmwdwife at 12:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• so you are surviving off of 50 cal a day??? Honey I'm proud of you for taking charge of your health and weight but you can not survive off of 50 calories a day! Please speak with your doctor ASAP!
    Anonymous

• after gastric bypass u dont eat much my body has ajusted to my routine so im gonna switch it up
    proudmwdwife

Answer by proudmwdwife at 12:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• In your other post you said you had a miscarriage and lost twins a month ago.
    Now you are saying your doctor wants you to use a Homeopathic medicine that is not FDA approved? Why not a prescription medication that is FDA approved?
    You get pregnant right after your bypass surgery and you doctor didn't tell you it was not safe for at least 12 to 18 months?
    Guidelines say you should be eating at least 1000 calories a day with 2 months of gastric bypass surgery. Eating less than 1200 calories a day is not safe for the average female.
    Your doctor did not tell you only eating 500 calories a day while pregnant is not safe? Your daily calories should have been at least 1600 calories a day if you were pregnant with twins.
    Your questions would be better answered by a doctor.
    Anonymous

• In my pregnancy test before surgery i was negative and based on my tests i was 1 month pregnant when i went into surgery it just didnt show up. I have pcos and didnt menstrate or ovulate for 5 yrs and also western meds gave me the problems i have i took depo then i got alot of problems im also native american and dont believe in the fda since they would rather treat the symptom not the problem like i had diabetes and they wanted to give me glucophage instead of letting it go away i lost 45 pounds and its gone so yeah i have always tried natural cures. the one time i did western meds it messed me up so im just here for advice on getting healthy pregnancy isnt in my plans till the hubby comes home from 14 month deployment
    proudmwdwife

Answer by proudmwdwife at 10:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I agree with you about not taking any meds. I suggest you join the healthy weight loss group if you haven't already. There are several of us in the group that have already lost the extra weight. I went from 211 lbs down to 145-150 lbs. It took 10 months of a lifestyle change. It takes work but it can be done. It also takes time.
    The reason you have plateaued is because your daily calorie intake is too low and hs caused your body to go into starvation mode. The easiest way to rev up your metabolism and begin losing again is up your calories. Instead restricting calories on a daily basis rollercoaster your daily calories. Eat high calorie for a couple of days then low calorie and last moderate calorie. It will trick your metabolism and cause your body to burn more calories.
    You already know the key to controlling type 2 diabetes is weight loss. The slower you take it off the better the odds are that you keep it off.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2010