How long do biggest loser contestants work out every day to enable them to lose alot of weight so fast?

I need to work out and can now run a half a mile trying to lose 20 pounds in 30 days please let me know. I had gastric bypass but i still love to snack which is whats hurting me what are safe snack foods/veges. With low calories because its not that im hungry its that i feel the need to chew something and gum has too much sugar for me. PS I stay at home all day and have access to a gym and the only thing holding me back is me.I have no kids.

proudmwdwife

Asked by proudmwdwife at 12:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• It's not the length of the workout, it's the intensity and running isn't your best bet. The trampoline burns over 400 calories in 30 minutes, a dance class would burn a thousand calories an hour if it's up-tempo and weight training can burn 600-700 calories an hour plus weight training adds muscle mass and muscle mass burns more calories than fat does in the resting state. Also, do cardio for 20 minutes before every meal to help your metabolism speed up, because if you've had gastric bypass, your metabolism isn't what it could be due to starvation syndrome.
    Anonymous

• They live at the ranch and work out 6-8 hours a day, plus they are taught how to eat right and are on a strict diet. It is not normal to lose the amount of weight they do.
    Anonymous

• I have access to a gym 8 hrs a day and am willing to change i eat healthy and my ultimate goal is miss fitness. I also live right by the hospital in fact it right next to the gym and my doc will be monitering me i pretty much wanted to know like what they do during their workout. so i can slowly incorporate some into my routine.
    proudmwdwife

Answer by proudmwdwife at 12:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• One of the reasons they lose so much weight on the Biggest Loser is because most contestents are morbidly obese. They work out 8 hours a day and eat an average of 1800 calories a day - again this based on an obese weight. In the beginning most weight loss is water weight.
    There is no quick fix weight loss - if there was everyone would be doing it.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 12:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I weigh 173 i was 220 on feb 3 of this year. im glad i got this far not working out hardly at all so im hoping by working out more i can lose more. I work out a min of 1 hr a day mostly cardio.
    proudmwdwife

Answer by proudmwdwife at 12:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• If you don't have kids, why are you on cafeMOM?
    Anonymous

• I was pregnant and lost it now were ttc again once i lose a few more pounds
    proudmwdwife

Answer by proudmwdwife at 8:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I have had 4 miscarriages and one of them was a month ago and i was preggers with twins
    proudmwdwife

• Not bashing at all - but if you were 220 lbs on Feb 3 and had a misscarriage with twins a month ago after losing over 40 lbs within 4 months - in addition to having a history of misscarriages. It makes me wonder if the extreme dieting contributed to losing your babies. It's not healthy for your baby or yourself to diet while you are pregnant.
    You also mentioned you lost the 47 lbs without working out - that's also unhealthy weight loss. The body takes from muscle mass and stores fat when you lose weight this way.
    Healthy weight loss is a combination of calories, carbs, fats, proteins, and exercise.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I think what that show does is dangerous. There are more reasons that they gained the weight than just overeating. Without getting to the root of the problem they will gain it all back again which is very dangerous.
    Please be careful especially if you are in this heat. My Physical Therapist says running just ruins the needs. It's cardio. Cardio is for cardio not weight loss. Try weight training and resistance bands. 5 lbs a week isn't a good goal. If you lose it fast the chances are you will gain it back.
    Anonymous