Voluntary work for food share benefits everywhere?

I'm all new to this. Due to poor health we're unemployed. I have cancer and am very ill. We for the first time got on food share(Stamps*). But we get like $11.00. They are signing us up for voluntary work in order to receive these benefits. Is this current and how it is? I'm new to this and my life and health is unbearable. My DH didn't get on any health insurance. So he can't go to the DR. for a injury, tests and his needed prescriptions. We just go without due to our finances. We live in the rural area in the middle of no where, seclusion. But if we had to do voluntary work it doesn't seems worth our gas or drive. Is this how it is now? Please no bashing. We got here due to my awful health robbing cancer. I'm unsure this is how the system works. My health is unbearable. Most times bedridden. I'd much rather be healthy and able. Food share is all we're getting. The $11.00 so I'm curious is this how it works for all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• unless you have minor children in the home, you're not going to get much help. sorry :(
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 12:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• That sounds so ridiculous. My brother lived w/my mom, paid no rent, had no job, and he got nearly $200 a month in food stamps. Are you sure they have all your information and didn't make a mistake in putting it in?
    They've done that w/us before, but the other way around. They put my two younger BILs on ours, even though they aren't our kids, and we ended up w/an extra $250 (it was while we lived w/MIL, paid rent and both had a job). The workers have to process so many people, there are mistakes made.
    I haven't heard of the voluntary work thing before around here (Ky), so I don't know much about that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• You have to hide all your assests, or you will not get anything!!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't do what PP is suggesting. That is fraud.

OP, I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I prayed for you when I read your story. I'm surprised that you're only getting $11.00 and you're expected to work for it. When my husband lost his job (our only income) and unemployment benefits were denied, we had to apply for food assistance. They gave us enough each month to buy all of our groceries, and we don't have to work to earn it. We have two small children.

I think I would try talking to them again to make sure they understand your situation. I know gas is not cheap, and the $11.00 isn't even worth your time to do all the paperwork.

Can you find a food pantry near you? Maybe one of your local churches can refer you to one.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2010