Any suggestions on how to keep a 4 yr old busy on a long plane flight?

At the end of this mth I am flying with my kids back home to visit. My 9 yr old isn't a problem bc he can read and play hand held games to keep himself busy. My 4 yr old is a different story, she doesn't like coloring or activity books. I don't have a leapster or a portable dvd player to keep her busy and I don't have the money to buy one. So those two things aren't feasible options for me. Any suggestions on how I can keep her from being bored on a 5 hr flight?

dizzy77702

Asked by dizzy77702 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• do you have a laptop? what about some dolls and toys. maybe some doll cloths to play dress up.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Take some kid books to read to her or have the older kid read to her. I know my 9 year old sister loves to read to my 5 year old daughter.
    When Kiwi was 4 and we flew (it was only 2 hours though), my sister gave her some flash cards, so we worked on her letters and she loved that.
    Have you asked her what she wants to do? I'd let her get a little bag or something and pack a few things that she'd like to do to keep her self occupied. That's what I did w/Kiwi. She packed her cards, her go fish cards, some books to have read to her, and her favorite animal to share the flight with.
    Plus, we scheduled one of the flights for first thing in the morning and she slept through the first half of it.
    Have fun and good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• what hand held game does the 9 year old have buy the child a game for that and make them share it one have it for 2 and a half hours the other have it 2 and a half hours..my 4 year old would play her ds for hours at a time

Stickers maybe?
    Anonymous

• We brought a pillow and a blanket for the ride. It helped my three year old be comfotable and sleep. I also brought books to read to him that were exiting chapter books I knew he would like. Crayons and some cars. It also helps we have an iPhone so YouTube and movies on the phone were available during parts of the trip. Cas it turned out we never needed the phone, crayons, or half the things I brought. He loved flying and slept most of the non exciting parts.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• A portable DVD player, crayons and coloring books, small toys, snacks, a lap top with computer games, etc. The portable DVD player was great with my DD last year on the plane.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2010