How can I quit smoking?

I am 26. Have smoked since turning 18, knew I wanted to smoke since I was 12, but waited until it was legal, never even tried before 18th b-day. I've tried quitting before, but I never lasted a day. I cry just thinking about never smoking again. I love the smell of it, both when I do it and when it's been a while and I smell it on someone else, I love the taste, the feel of it in my lungs. I honestly love smoking. But, it's costing $200/month for both of us. I go outside to smoke on the porch. I'm terrified of wasps and bees, and our porch is home to several big wood bees. But, I still stand w/them and smoke. I'll go out in the rain, snow, heatwave, storm, I don't care, I HAVE to have that cigarette. I smoke 1 pack a day. I've tried the gum, patch, and cold turkey. Heard bad things about the pill that makes you quit. What else is there? Please, only answer if you've successfully quit, no bashing about the dangers of smoking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Health

• I quit cold turkey and never started again. The one thing that did help me was having an unopened pack of ciggs....It helped me. Just think of your kids, the money you're saving and, the extra years on your life. Good luck
    mrimom

Answer by mrimom at 4:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My sister was up to 4 packs a day. She had no intentions of quitting even though our mom died of lung cancer from smoking. Recently sis had to have surgery and there is no smoking in hospitals so they put the patch on her. It's the kind that is strong and after a few weeks you change to another one a bit weaker then another in a few more weeks then you are off. That worked for her. I was shocked. I didn't think she'd ever quit smoking but it's been great. She said there has been no withdrawal for her. She said she still reaches in her purse out of habit for a cigarette but then remembers she quit and goes on with her day. Good luck with this. I'm so proud of you for wanting to stop.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I've heard all the bad things about Chantex too, but I took it and it made me quit. It wasn't easy because you have to go through nicotine withdrawls, but it keeps you away from them. I smoked about a pack a day and sort of wanted to quit. I swear by it. I didn't get any side affects from it.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I just quit cold turkey but my SO used the gum Try distractions like chewing on a straw, gum or hard candy. It's hard but think about your children whenever you go to light up. If my kids (heaven forbid) become smokers I don't want it to be because of the poor example I set. Trust me I KNOW it's hard but once you make it a week you'll be amazed at how little you get cravings. Good luck!!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 1:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I've quit by weaning(5yrs off of them), cold turkey(a year off of them), and with Chantix(nine months so far). Chantix was by far the easiest. I had some bad dreams, but it was worth it! I didn't want to quit, either. I love smoking, but my DD was really bothered by it(that I smoked, not the smoke...I didn't smoke around my kids!), so I quit. My cravings were gone after three days. They came back a little bit at the end of the low dose, but as soon as I got to the stronger dose they were gone again. You're allowed to smoke during the first week, but I was feelin' so good about it I quit on day four with no problem.

Be prepared for some funky dreams, and wean off the Chantix instead of just stopping and it's all good.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 1:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• for me, the easiest way was cold turkey, i went out and bought a pack of the flavored camels that come in tins, and stuck it on my table where it was always in my face, anytime i was able to pass it up, i had a huge sense of accomplishment and proudness, which really helped. i also started chewing gum, and anytime i was craving a cigg, i'd find something else to do (clean) good luck! i've heard great things about chantix, my SO and neighbor are supposed to start it here in a month or so, so we'll see.
    Anonymous

• Did you try Allen Carr's Easyway?

It's a cold-turkey self-hypnosis method.

I personally continue to think of nicotine as a drug I just can't afford the pleasure of. I mean, heroin would feel great the first time too, but I'm not going THERE, am I? No. Because it ruins your health and your life. When I quit cigarettes, I had to decide that even though the relief from withdrawal was nice, and even though a smoke does feel good, it's not a drug I want to be addicted to.

The other day, after four years of not smoking, I saw a whole, unsmoked cigarette on a bus stop bench. Of course I thought it would be nice to have a drag (or the whole damn thing, I have two kids, who am I kidding). But I visualized it like a hypodermic needle and took a deep breath and walked on. Allen Carr helped me with that. The book's not expensive (hah, probably less than a pack nowadays) so it's worth it.
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 2:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I smoked a pack a day for 15 years...what worked for me was the Commit Lozenges...they were very gross but I only needed to use them for a month. Quitting isn't easy but so worth it. I have been smoke free for 6 years....good luck to you!!

TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2010