which is best brestfeeding or bottle feeding and why?

mommysarah862

Asked by mommysarah862 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is coming from a formula feeder:

Breast is best, and that is all there is to it. There are many reasons that some women are unable (including medical reasons like medications that can pass through the milk), but breast is always best.

HOWEVER, no mother should ever be told or made to feel like a bad person if she is unsuccessful at breast feeding or is medically unable.
    Anonymous

• This could get ugly, just a forewarning.

Breast is touted as best, formula is fine but some people think it's poison. Breastmilk from the bottle is fine, but if you want to breastfeed it can hinder baby's want to latch on to the breast.
    Anonymous

• Whatever method you choose to feed your baby is best.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• This is not the place to look for scientific data. You need to do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

That said, we have breasts to produce the perfect food for our babies. Unless a mother has a medical condition that prevents breastfeeding, it is best for both the baby and the mother.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• In MOST cases, breast.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Breastfeeding outways formula, however, millions of babies have been raised successfully on formula. Its YOUR choice either way.

BF advantages: super convenient on the go tap, natural, contains colostrum, economical, enjoyable, constricts the uterus, perfect temperature, easy for baby to digest
    Disadvantages: hurts a little, engorgement, requires patience, normally you are the PRIMARY source and cant hand the baby over for a couple of nights(but thats not necessarily a bad thing :) )

Formula advantages: You control the ounces, baby is satisfied and lasts in the tummy longer, Daddy can easily feed baby too
    Disadvantages: Might be hard on baby's tummy, poopoo smells bad lol, prepare bottles alot

Your baby can thrive either way.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• You will definitely hear a bunch on responses on this matter. However, let me assure you, what you will hear is all hearsay. I had two daughters. One which was breast fed and is now in her late 20's and one which was bottle fed and is now in her early 20's. My daughter daughter that was breast fed now has so many allergies and sicknesses. I know it's not attributed to breast feeding, but I know that it didn't help her either. People will say that the kids will be so healthy. Not true. It has nothing to do with that. All of my aunts her also breast fed. They all have issues. It's the way you are raised, not the breast or bottle. Trust me.

Anonymous

• Yes, trust her and her 3 examples. When there is REAL INFORMATION, not anecdotal evidence, out there... You already have kids and have done one or the other with them, so are you just trying to start a fight or are you looking for information? Please don't use Cafe Mom for either.
    Anonymous

• Healthwise, generally speaking, breast is best.

But having done both, I can say from experience that they each have their pros and cons. Though I would also say that most of the time breastfeeding is easier.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Anon :02...since your daughter had so many issues despite being breastfed...think of how that could have been amplified if she'd been formula fed instead. Just something to think about. Perhaps breastfeeding may have helped her out after all, there's no way to know.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2010