Faith and confusion

I'll try to keep this short, but brevity is not my strong suit. I grew up Catholic but left the church after much prayer and reflection, the teachings are just in contrast to what I brought to God in prayer (this was many years ago, before I met my DH). After searching for the past 3 years, my family has visited and stayed for some time at 3 different churches. We have been attending this last one for 5 months now. But I still feel something is not right. I miss the ritual of the Catholic church and the atmosphere, but do not agree with so many of the teachings. And I am tired of dragging my family from church to church trying to find a "fit" for us. Plus, every time we move churches, I feel like we are leaving friends behind. I have prayed on this daily and still do not know where God is leading us, except into more confusion. What about you all? Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It sounds like you miss the liturgy. You might want to try either a Lutheran Church or an Episcopalian Church. Both have mass I believe.....their teachings are different from Catholicism. I don't know much about the Lutheran church but the Episcopal church has open communion, a married priesthood, and allows women to be priests, depending on the parish. I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, so I hope this helps.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Have you tried Lutheran? I hear they're called "Catholic Light"...all the pomp, with half the guilt.
    Anonymous

• You need to look into Episcopal churches if you really want to focus on rituals, but without the saints and hail marys or if you are wanting a Protestant type faith that has just touches of the Catholic style, then look into Methodist.

My mom is Methodist, my dad is Baptist and I once dated a Lutheran. So, I've been to those 3 churches. I am comfortable with Baptist. I like that the Baptist follows the Bible only and doesn't have any of it's own books. I like that the Baptist church literally interprets the Bible and does not put its own spin on things, for example Baptist baptise by full submersion just like Jesus and John the Baptist did.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Thank you all. I have never been to a Lutheran church. But we did visit the Episcopal church, a Presbyterian church, a Baptist church (there's about 4 Baptist churches for every 1 "other" church around here) and quite a few Christian churches. I do miss the "roteness" of the Catholic mass. But after prayer and reflection, I just cannot agree with the church's stance on women, women's roles (in life and in the church), marriage of clergy, and many other points.

I hate dragging my family from church to church because of my faith confusion. It seems that every time they get adapted to a church, that is when it clicks in my head "no, this isn't right." And I hate taking them from the friends they make at those churches. I have spent the last week crying as I pray, dreading Sunday morning because while the kids enjoy it, I don't feel the spirit. And I think my DH is getting a little fed up as well (he's agnostic).
    Anonymous

• I think you're having trouble connecting with a church because your husband is agnostic. You are unevenly yoked. This makes it difficult in a marriage and it makes it difficult for you to serve God because your husband is not the spiritual leader of the family as God intended.

I am in the same situation. I married an agnostic (what was I thinking?). I was raised in the church and my faith is strong. I know I'm Baptist and have never doubted that.

Continue praying. Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and you will find a home church.

After reading your last post, I think you would feel most comfortable in a Methodist church. They commonly have female ministers, but still do the reciting similar to the Catholics.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I know exactly how you feel and I eventually just stopped. I realized there is just too much to question so I left it to be a personal thing between me and the "higher power". Of course, this is my choice and I would never say that is what you should do.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Thank you ThrivingMom. At the time we met and married I wasn't involved with any church and considered myself agnostic as well. So when we got married, it wasn't a big deal. But a few years ago I felt that pull to go back to church (you can imagine the debate that sparked from that one). Now that he has "come to terms" with my going back to church (and wishing to teach the children about God - we both still believe that the choice of religion should be there's) I feel like I keep pulling him, and the kids around, trying to find the place I fit in. I would have no problem with the children staying where they are now (and they enjoy this church) but my DH works weekends. So wherever I go is where the kids go and it doesn't feel right denying myself, spiritually, every week.
    Anonymous

• I know that Yahweh is not the bringer of confusion. That is the evil one. I would follow, and I am following Yahweh no matter what the cost: friends, family, worldly customs,you name it. I give it all up for him, because following his son [whose true name is Yahshua] has been the best move of my whole life! Hallelujah! I will follow the "Good Shepherd," in this life, and beyond! I will keep you in my prayers in this matter. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• is that hard Daph? I mean I am just honestly curious. I know my family means everything to me and to lose them would be losing myself. What do you mean the evil one is the bringer of confusion? Do you mean confusion in the preaching and churches or in one self? just curious. Not being rude
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Have you tried having a Bible study to see what the Bible teaches about God so you can see where that lines up with a religion?
    Jehovah's Witnesses offer free home Bible studies with no obligation to go or pay and always at a time that fits you...
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2010