Would you do this?

This year & last year, we've had to travel an hour & half to have our Daughter's Birthday Party because none of my family will travel to where we live. I just think its too hard to do it this way & this year is the last year I'm doing this. We have lived here for almost 6 years and everybody thinks we should always come back to even see them. I was just in last weekend & my mom tells me that I need to come in again. When my Daughter's Birthday is planned in 3 weeks from today. I told her she can come & see me. My husband has been unemployed for a month and things are tight.

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 2:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• wow you must be a saint I would not have gone that far and I would have said cannot be bothered to come out here? Traveling goes both ways. My mom only wants people to come see her. Its hard but you are going to have to make up your mind and tell them it would be better if it were at your house.GL Momma

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• no i think you are right on this. they could come visit you. sounds like they are still getting over the fact that you live so far away. every time dh or i call our parents we get the lecture about why we should come home. it's annoying.

jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• The traveling should go both ways. My mom lives about 45 minutes away, and I can only make it out there about a couple times a month. She visits here when ever she comes to town, (she lives way out in the country, and this is the closest place for groceries and stuff).
    My dad lives in Fl, I live in Ky, and he refuses to come back here after a horrible visit near christmas a few years ago, but he has paid mine and Kiwi's way down there half the time we've went. It's all about compromise.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Why would YOU travel to celebrate your birthday somewhere else? No, I would never do that.
    Anonymous

• I LIVE 3.5 HOURS AWAY FROM MY MOM. MY MOM WILL COME UP EVERY OTHER WEEKEND, I DO GO DOWN TO. I THINK IT SHOULD GO BOTH WAYS, IN YOUR CASE I THINK THEY CAN COME UP TO SEE YOU SINCE YOUR HUSBAND HAS NO JOB. AND AS FAR AS BIRTHDAYS GO. I PUT A STOP TO THAT, I DO NOT HAVE MY DAUGHTERS B-DAY DOWN THERE THEY CAN COME UP.
    Anonymous

• Roads work both ways. I always thought it was rude for families to think the ones with small children ought to do the traveling. Have your parties where you want, closer to home.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Yeah, its really hard traveling with a 2 year old who hates her car seat. This is the last year I'm doing her Birthday Party in our Home Town, it's just not fair to me to have to take the Cake & Party Supplies an 1&1/2 away. I'm only doing it so my Aunt & Uncle can actually come this year, last year they were out of town & they live almost 4 hours away. When I told my Mom that I wasn't having it where we live and I decided to have it back at Home she said "Good". I can't believe how selfish people are, she acted mad when I told her I was having it over here in the beginning. I don't care next year, its going to be over here I don't care who attends.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 5:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2010