WHY do my two dogs keep eating our underwear?

I have had to throw countless pairs of mine, my husband's and my daughter's underwear away after catching one of the dogs with them. We've tried putting them on the bottom of the basket and keeping it in a closed room, but none of the doors in our rented home latch. There is a hook lock on the inside of the master bedroom, but I can't lock it while on the outside.
Anyone else have these problems? What did you do? It is REALLY FREAKING DISTURBING!!!
They both have a lot of toys, plenty of food, attention, outside play time, it just started up about two weeks ago.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Pets

• i have the same problem :( my solution to the underwear attacks was to put an over the door hook on the back of our bathroom door, from that i hang a tote bag that I got from target for $2.50 and we put all our dirty underwear in there until wash day... so far so good!!!
    gette07

Answer by gette07 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Are they whippets? My spouse's former roommate raises whippets, and they love to eat dirty underwear...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No, one is a beagle/basset/Chihuahua mix and the other is a chihuahua/something else mix. One is a puppy, about 4-5 months old and the big one is over 2 years old.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• It is gross but yeah some dogs to that.. I have a friend that her dog eats hers. I also have 3 dogs but only 1 (jack russell) goes through spurts where she does the same thing... I even had as far as I work from home and had a client come in my house and she brought a pair of mine out in the middle of the floor... OMG that was sooooo not funny!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Both my rattie and my mom's jack russel eat panties. they're both over 2 years old, but they go so far as to eat the snotty tissues in the trash, and my mom's goes through my sister's trash and eats her pads... which is FAR more disgusting than any amount of panties, lol.

I found that if I put the basket up high (mine's on the washer) or get a hamper with a lid (one of the heavy duty ones, not a plastic one they can knock over... like this: http://images.hayneedle.com/mgen/master:WCR015.jpg ) where you can sit something on top to weigh it down if necessary. It's a pain for a while, but it's what I've found works. My mom also got my little sister a metal trashcan that you step on a pedal and the lid opens... Worked for us all so far!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2010