Should I tell my sister about her son's "accidental" viewing of internet porn?

Last night my 10 year old nephew spent the night, he was using the computer and my 5 year old daughter was sitting with him. She told me he was searching for a site with games on it but they saw a video with some girl bouncing up and down on a man and her boobs were going up and down. I'm upset that my little girl saw that despite that she doesn't really know what she saw and just thought the woman was funny. I've informed my nephew that he isn't allowed to use the computer without adult supervision and at night I will now lock the computer so he can't use it. My worry is that my sister will freak out. I don't think he does this on a regular basis at home because the computer at my sister's house is out in the open and anything he does can be easily seen by whoever is in the room, he's also never left home alone and I know she keeps her computer locked at night so her 3 year old can't mess it up but randomly clicking on stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Let her know it just popped up. It will give her the opportunity to talk with him about pop ups like that. My 10 yr old grandson thinks they are "gross" and x's them out quickly when they pop up. It's a shame small kids are exposed to that but since they are it's best that we talk with them about it before hand.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Yes, I would tell her, even if she freaks out.
    Anonymous

• Research how to block adult content on your computer so it doesn't happen again. Then tell your sister what happened and what you've done to prevent it happen again.
    Anonymous

• ALL good advice here. I think you should tell her, And the Parental Controls are a good thing to use. He is too young to see crap like that. Well.....why should ANYONE see that kind of thing? This is one very bad thing about the Internet.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Parental controls are a must... honestly I would never have left a 10 year-old alone with the internet in the first place. They figure that stuff out pretty quickly. He may not even know what he saw, but now that image is in there. I'm speaking from a very personal place -- my dad was careless about magazines when I was very young and I know it has affected my sexuality. Block that crap on your computer and supervise any kids using the internet, no matter how young.

And yes, I would tell the parents. It may not have been accidental.
    Anonymous

• You should let her know what he's been doing. But don't make it sound like he should get punished, just make it sound like if she didn't know he was doing that , that he was, and that maybe it's time for the talk. but just go into the basics for now, after all he is only 10.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 4:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Oooh... that was pretty irresponsible, I must say. I would fess up and make sure it doesn't happen again. Lesson learned, I hope, for your own kids?
    Anonymous

• Let me ask you this, if it were your son would you want to know?
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 5:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2010