how to get my baby off the bottle?

my baby boy turned one a couple of days ago and just wondering how I can get him off the bottle? He loves his bottle. he still does not sleep though the night he will wake up at least once for a bottle then go back to sleep.. I can also give him a bottle in his bed and he will go back to sleep drinking his bottle.. so i guess my question is how can i get him out of this and off the bottle.. He does not take a paci he stop that himself when he was only a couple months old so i do not want to get him back on that.. thanks

lorililly

Asked by lorililly at 3:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give him a bottle only for milk and give him water all day in a sippy. After month, give him only a sippy and just the bottle before nap and bed. After another month, give a sippy before nap and the bottle only before night time bed. After a month of that no more bottle.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I only put formula in my son's bottle. Everything else went in a sippy, When he was one, I weaned him from the formula in the bottle to milk in a sippy. Luckily for us, he took to milk pretty well, so it wasn't a fight.

The first thing you can try is letting him have some whole milk in a sippy cup instead of a bottle. If he likes that, then just change one daily bottle a week to a sippy of milk. Or you can try giving him the formula in a sippy. Basically just offer a sippy instead of a bottle.

But don't worry too much if it doesn't happen right away. I know so many people say kids need to be off bottles by a year, but for some kids it can be a much more gradual transition. If he absolutely has to have a bottle at the end of the day, it's not a big deal. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• On a side note...you shouldn't let him fall asleep with any kind of drink except water. Giving him a bottle before bed is fine, but it's best to put him to bed without.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• he uses a sippy cup i don't put anything in his bottle but milk.. I know I really should not give him a bottle in bed but sometimes i do because it is the only thing that will keep in his bed without crying in the middle of the night i hate that i do that but i just need a little more sleep so that is why i do that.. I don't do it all the time I have tried giving him whole milk in a sippy he just throws it down maybe i need to warm it up for him.. but he drinks water and watered down juice in his cup.. boo on me lol..
    lorililly

Answer by lorililly at 3:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• If he insists on a bottle in bed, make it water only. If your son is really attached to his bottle, it's not going to hurt him (or his teeth) to still have one awhile longer.
    Anonymous

• My sister had a problem with her boys accepting regular whole milk in a sippy cup, but when she would give them skim/1% milk they would drink it no problem. After about a month, she took it up to 2% milk and about a month after that they were drinking whole milk no problem. The more fat there is in milk, the heavier it feels on baby's tounge, which is why some babies don't like whole milk. Reconstituted formula has almost the same weight/consistancy as juice, water or skim milk. have you tried using a straw sippy with him? They are closer in shape to a bottle compared to a regular sippy.
    kwaverysmom

Answer by kwaverysmom at 6:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2010