Do you believe that you should have money saved up before you plan on having a baby?

Ronnie165

Asked by Ronnie165 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To each their own.. That saved money is only going to go so far.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 4:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• It will be spent one way or another LOL You should deffinately look at your finances though. And if you don't already have an honest monthly budget you should do one....down to what you spend on everything. Groceries isn't just food, it's toiletries and garbage bags, etc. Then budget in about $75 for diapers, how much will you need on formula, baby food, etc. But somehow it does work out. You stop spoiling yourself with a sweater or a purse here and there and say, the baby needs shoes or something....
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No.. But your finances should definitely be in check.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• You should be able to cover your bills for 6 weeks after the pregnancy (if you work)and make sure that you can cover your copay for the birth. Some families need to save, some don't - but you should be aware of the short-term costs (delivery, loss of work, etc.) and plan ahead.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• If everyone waietd to have a good amount of money saved, a lot of people would NEVER have kids. You should make enough that you are able to live on your own, pay bills each month and have money left over for needed extras.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• waited**
    KairisMama

• If you have enough "extra" income each month that you currently spend on travel, entertainment, going out to eat, etc, and are willing to switch that to baby money once it's time for the baby to arrive, then you could get away without saving I suppose. Just assuming no one loses a job or hours.

My son was unplanned so I did not have money saved. However I am hoping to plan my next child (if nature agrees with me) and would like to have a few thousand in savings specifically for baby's first couple years of life...carseat, clothes (every couple months at first! ahhh!), crib, cloth diapers, a carrier or two, stroller, toys, books...there are a lot of things I'll need for those first few years and it'd be nice to know I could afford all of it without worrying about cutting back in other areas of my life. I don't have a lot of money to work with so sticking back a little bit when I can is the best I can do.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 9:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I saved 3 mos of mortgage payments before my dtr was born...and BOY was i glad I did. With that and some lifestyle changes, i was able to stay home for 8 mos before going back to work part time.
    Anonymous

• it would be nice but it doesnt always happen that way!.. we thought wed save money before our son was born an that money was quickly spent =/ an so far we are doing just fine! :)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 1:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2010