Would you recommend taking a 19 month old on a 7 hour car trip???

Would you recommend taking a 19 month old on a 7 hour car trip??? And one where you will be staying at a hotel??? When he doesn't like car rides at all??

hperkins06

Asked by hperkins06 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When we lived 16 hours away from our families, we took a 2 day trip with a....2 month old and a 14 month old. It isn't the greatest time in the world but can be done.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• just make sure you bring lots of stuff for him to play with in his car seat. and make frequent stops so he can get out and stretch. it probably wont be too bad.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Honestly if you have a chance to travel, and you only have one child, I would take it. You'll all survive 7 hours. In my experience, these things get harder for awhile before they get easier, you might as well keep on living and doing the things you enjoy... Your 19 month-old may love the hotel adventure. Hotels have cribs or pack n' plays if you ask (if your son is in a crib still) so you don't have to bring your own. Just bring things to do and be prepared to make frequent and longer stops, even if it makes the trip last longer. Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I'm just worried cause I don't have a whole lot of time to make Alot of extra stops.
    hperkins06

Answer by hperkins06 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• We do it a lot. Like the first poster, our families live 16 hours away. But our kids are now 7 and 2. We've been making the trip a couple of times every year. We prefer to make it all in one day and not stay in hotels because our kids don't sleep well in strange places. Sometimes our trip takes longer int he winter. Last Christmas the roads were really bad so the going was slow and it took us 20 hours. We bring along lots of healthy snacks and drinks in a cooler. We usually buy each kid a new toy to play with in the car and bring coloring books and play lots of I Spy and other car games. We stop a lot and while DH gets gas in the car, I take the kids for a walk to stretch and get the wiggles out. The most helpful thing though is the DVD player and a big stack of kid's movies in the back. You can do it! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Dependent on how the little one is in a carseat, they may sleep a lot of it. In our 8 hours of driving each day we only stopped twice each day! When we stopped it was about a half hour each time. The older one ran around with dad. I fed the baby. They were both changed and away we went again. 7 hours of driving, you could just make it in one day and avoid a hotel all together!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• We did but he was 22 months. We where on a train going up 9 hours. And in a Car coming home 9 hours. He did very well. Just had activetys like a coloring book, and snacks for him
    Nemhs

Answer by Nemhs at 4:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• lol We just got back from a trip to MO that took us about 15 hours. Our son is a year old this week and HATES being in the car. We had to make a couple of extra stops, it's generally unavoidable. But some things to keep in mind:
    1 Let him out of the car, even for a few minutes, EVERY time you stop. Make sure he's wearing shoes, and even if you're in a parking lot, take him away from cars and let him stretch his little legs. There are a FEW uses for those little leashes. =)
    2 Give him a new (even if it's only new to him) toy to play with and tell him that it's ONLY for in the car. Make sure it's something he'll like. BONUS: Something that he's used to not being allowed to play with.
    3 Make sure he has snacks and that he eats well while you're on the road.
    4 Music, a new book, or a book on CD for children may help.
    5 I try to limit my son's exposure to a lot of TV, but the portable DVD player was my best friend on our trip.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• CONT. It was a last resort, but helped A LOT!
    6 Let him explore the hotel room. Explain what things are for, and treat it like a fun adventure to be staying there.
    7 Point out interesting things during the ride. Start conversations. If you're not really into it, ask him a question that'll keep him going for a long time!

Hope you have a good time with him! And I hope my suggestions help, if you choose to use them! =)
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Thanks everyone!
    hperkins06

Answer by hperkins06 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2010