What kind of A/C will keep too rooms clean,and how big will it have to be

I need a big one in the living room the central air went out. My living room is pretty big and I would like for it to cool my kitchen. $7000 is not in the budget to get my central fixed at this time.

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 4:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• When we lived w/my mom a few years ago, we were living in the garage/turned bedroom and the central air didn't go out there, no vent or anything. It was the size of two large rooms, stretched the length of the house. We used a window unit that my grandmother gave us and it kept both rooms cold. I've seen them used for really cheap before, and they work. They will raise your electric bill a little, but I guess it doesn't matter since you're cutting out the broken central a/c.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• It seems like everyone's A/C is going out. Mine went out a few days ago and we have just been using fans. I have seen the portable air conditioners and the largest that I have seen is 14,000 BCU's which cools approx. 500 sq feet. This should be big enough to cool the living room and the kitchen. The average cost for it is about $500-$750.

Anonymous

• Thank u, where did you see it at?
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 4:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Anonymous