my daughter is 18months old is it 2 early 2 potty train her?

demi1988

Asked by demi1988 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• depends onthe child....

Is she showing signs? can she take her bottoms off alone? can she tell you when she is wet does she tell you sometimes if she has to go potty? can she go a prolonged amount of time without peeing in her diaper?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Nope! My second was in underwear only at 17.5 months. At 18 months she had a full week with no accidents (and where she was asking to go potty when she needed to) but then regressed... we stuck with it and helped her out until she was back on track at 20 months; now at 21 months she can finally pull down her pants by herself and sit on her potty without having to ask us or tell us... I highly recommend training on the younger side, while they still aim to please... My first child trained at 19 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• she knows when shes about to go,and will bring me her nappy and wipes 2 change her straight after shes been
    demi1988

Answer by demi1988 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• 18 months is to young...let her be a baby, she will lean to go to the bathroom among other things soon enough.

Emilysusan made a point with her potty training story it's you SOON! her child regressed she was back on track at 20 months and FINALLY pull down her pants by 21 months. 2 years old is a great time to start and may I add that 2 years old is young!
    Anonymous

• Emilysusan made a point with her potty training story it's to SOON!
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure that's the point my story made... She regressed, meaning she started having accidents unless we reminded her to go more frequently... we reminded her, and she did fine. To me, the amount of work it took to take her to the potty and help her learn was no more (and probably less) than it would have taken to change diapers. We never changed a single poopy diaper or underwear after 17 months old... She didn't have to sit in her own poop. She didn't mind, and neither did we!! Lots of kids need help with their pants when they're first training... But even assuming it was hell on earth for 2-3 months (which it wasn't) before she was FULLY trained (now, at 21 month, she sleeps in underwear and does everything but wipe by herself), now she's trained! I don't think that kids who are showing signs and respond to training should just be ignored and be made to wait until 3 or even older to eliminate in a toilet.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I agree with Emilysusan and have also had success training my three kids by around 18 months (20 for my first, 17 for my second, 18 for my 3rd). Also I don't think it has a thing to do with letting them be babies or forcing them to grow up... This tendency toward extremely late potty training is a new development. Early training is more hygienic, better for the environment... not to mention the money you save on diapers. Personally I would rather put on a little... well, effort... as a parent than have a child train in a single day at age 3. It's undignified. I think Americans are so convinced that every little thing in life has to be terribly convenient these days that they aren't willing to put in any effort. Diapers make that easy. But I feel sorry for kids who are still in diapers at 3.
    Anonymous

• she knows when shes about 2 go i do think shes ready,just wanted a bit of advice on wether i should leave it a little longer
    demi1988

Answer by demi1988 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I have a friend whose son was ready around 18 months and she told his daycare provider the things he was doing (asking to sit on the potty, telling her before he went, etc), and the daycare lady said, "oh, they all go through that around 18 months). Um... yeah, so why aren't we TRAINING them all around 18 months? Unfortunately, she wasn't home with her son and now he's 3.5 and still struggling... If you want immediate success, you *might* get it if you wait until after 2.5 or 3, but then again you may not. It sounds like your daughter is ready... I would go for it!!!
    Anonymous

• Yes
    Anonymous