how do i get my 5 month old son to eat his baby food?

ive tried mixing it with his rice cereal him oatmeal cereal. i gave him bananna's carrots applesauce he just spits it out and starts crying. what should i do? my daughter was not like this.

AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2

Asked by AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Leave him be. It's a reflex, he's not ready. nBaby rice tates horrid anyway and baby food in general is not very tastey or interesting. If you wait until HE initiattes wanting food from your plate that along with sitting up unassisted, losing tongue thrust reflex, manipulating food with tongue, and able to bring food to his mouth -- is readiness. You can then give regular table food tht is fork mashable or small enough to gum to death. Tastier, no fussiing, and free! My baby startedat 7 1/2 months. She has sampled everything except meat, fish, dairy. From asparagus to cauliflower to parsnip to kiwi, mango, and cantalope and anything you can name. No rejection. SHE initiates. It's for fun and exploration, not nutrition for the first year since babies don't dijest solids well. Don't stress. Let it go or you might create food issue battles you can't win.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Wait a week or two and try again. He may not like it, and it won't hurt him to put it off for a little while.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• If he is spitting it out, he is not ready for it.. Food now is just for practice and gives no nutritional value. His primary source should be breast milk or formula.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• he doesnt need to eat, just try again in a month or so
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Try again in a few weeks. keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I agree to wait a while. My son did the same thing with certain foods, but he was about 8 months old. It turned out those that he spit out and started crying after eating he was allergic to. At 4 years old, he is still allergic to apples. Just give it time and try again later.
    kwaverysmom

Answer by kwaverysmom at 6:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I agree with the above. I had to try several time with each new food to get my son to eat. I would just wait a few weeks sometimes. It's hard to believe but he will eat it when he's ready. :-)
    puppyraiser8

Answer by puppyraiser8 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• It's best to wait until 6 months for solids anyway. Why the rush? It's okay to give a 5 month old baby food, but it's not ideal and it's not necessary so I'd say: follow your baby's cues and stop trying until he's older.
    Anonymous

• The typical guidlines are minimum of 6 months and when they're ready. Clearly yours is not ready. Wait a month and try again.
    Anonymous

• Just wait.. Hes not ready.. Im sure everyone else made it clear why.. No reason to rush foods on a baby at all.. it can be bad on their bellys
    sometimes i wonder if thats where my stomach problems are from .. my mom starting feeding us early..
    Anonymous