How often do you clean your kids rooms/closets? What do you do with their old clothes and toys?

I still don't understand why it is so hard for me to get rid of my daughter's clothes and toys. I saved some of her baby clothes, but I find it so hard to get rid of her toddler clothes. I've donated some, but I still have a bunch of things that don't fit her anymore.
I plan on having another baby, but who knows if I'll have another girl? How do you deal with this? What do you do with your kids clothes and toys?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Daughter is 1 yr and I haven't filtered through her toys yet. Next baby is due in December so I just haven't seen the point of packing it up for a few months. All of her spare clothing is at the top of her closet. We don't know the sex of the new baby so we're just hanging on to it. After the second is born, and if it isn't a girl I will be turning some of baby's old clothes into a blanket as a keepsake. Through every age group I keep 3-4 things that are special to me, and they're in another box.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 5:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• We sell anything we paid for and give away anything that was given to us. This goes for toys and clothes. About every six months, I'll go through her clothes, and only because we have to make room for the stuff I've put away that was too big that she's now grown into. Some stuff I give to my niece, who is 2 years younger than Ki.
    Her toys on the other hand, we only do those around Christmas. We take out about half and give most of them away so that when all the grandparents and aunts and uncles finish w/giving her new ones, we aren't overrun with toys.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I saved some baby clothes and toddler clothes which I keep in a tote in the basement. Everything else I just donate or give away to people I know who have little girls...recently I've found about a dozen old friends from highschool on Facebook and 4 of them have girls younger than mine so I gave them a lot of clothes and toys. I go through their closets at least once every few months.
    Anonymous

• I clean my daughters' rooms twice a week and their closets 3-4 times a year. I give away clothes that don't fit. I wasn't planning on having another baby but now she's here I wish I hadn't given everything away. Now I have to buy everything again. But I'm definatelly not having another baby so I'll keep giving everything that doesn't fit the baby away.

I have bought some of these bags that "shrink" clothes. You put clothes in the bag and when you close it the air gets our of it and it gets really small and easy to store.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 5:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I do it every couple of months... my friend's cousin ( who is a distant friend) has a little girl and little boy who are the same age/ sizes as mine....and she doesnt have hardly any money so i usually just give them all to her..
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 5:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Old clothes- a donation box. They are all over the store parking lots and gas stations out here.

Old Toys - I donate to my mom's animal shelter for they have a garage sale twice a year.

I clean out everything every few months.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I go through my kids clothes at the end of seasons, and sell them on craigslist.

I'm bad with the toys though, they have way to many and I need to go through them sometime.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I kept everything from my first because I knew we wanted another one. He was almost 6 when his little brother was born and I was so very glad to have all that stuff. As this one grows out of stuff I am planning to use my favorites from both boys to make a quilt and will donate, trash, or sell the rest of the clothes. I will keep my very favorite of their toys for the memory aspect. My oldest son's favorite teddy bear will have a home with me long after he is done with him. The same is true of the little one's stuffed horse.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well, I guess I clean her room every day, because I always keep it clean. Her toys, I have went through them after Christmases and her birthday...she has another one coming in a month. Her clothes, I pack up and put in the attic. I usually have a growing pile that I put on the guest room bed until it's enough to put in a space bag and put up in the attic.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 7, 2010