Do you think it's okay for kids to live with their parents as long as they're working?

I personally would be okay with that, if my daughter was atleast working and still living with me, but I would worry that it was hurting her social life. I'm not gonna be one of those moms who clings to their children. So if that should ever happen I would definitely encourage her to move out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• if they are old enough then I would want them to work or be in school.... say like older than 20 they need to atleast have a plan..... but say if they got to like 25 and nothing was happening I would HAVE to make them lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 5:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Mine do, I have three the eldest who is 32, is on her own, my middle daughter who is 31 lives at home and works full time, my baby who is 22, just graduated from the university and is living at home and working in his field. My home will always welcome my kids with open arms no matter how old they get.
    I am not one of those mothers that cling to their children, my children of their own free will cling to me.

Answer by older at 5:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My kids will always be welcome home no matter what. If they need help I will help them for as long as they need it without ever making them feel guilty about it. But if one of them just leeches off me with no signs of motivation to get a job than that's beyond helping them, that's letting them leech off you.
    Anonymous

• As long as they are contributing, and there is enough room, then I don't see a problem with it. I'm living with my parents right now (I'm 25) while my husband and I look for a place for ourselves. They have a HUGE house with plenty of room for us, and we pay rent, part of utilities and help out around the house (especially with cooking and cleaning). My husband has helped my dad plant a garden, get his shop up and running, fixed his car, fixed some screwed up wiring and built a few things for the place. I'm working and going to school, so what I do is more limited (mostly I do the cooking), but I'd feel HORRIBLE if I didn't help out around the house.
    Anonymous

• If it's okay with everyone involved. I'm 33 and live with my dad with my kids. He has a 4 bedroom house and we've lived here most of the last 10 years for various reasons. We'll be moving out for good this summer. My dad has finally gotten sick of us, lol (the kids are starting to get on his nerves...mine, too).
    We don't pay rent but we do buy all the groceries and household items for everyone including my dad and I do all the cooking and cleaning.
    I'm a SAHM but my husband works. Right now he's living in our new house on the other side of the country.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I think it's okay, but that may be because I've been there before. We hit some very hard times when Kiwi was 2, and moved in w/my mom. Kiwi took the room that she already called hers from her overnight visits to my mom's house and my husband and I took my old room that was the garage until Mom and stepdad got pregnant when I was 16. But, we worked and only lived there for a couple months.
    Then, a couple years later (in March of '08) we moved in w/my MIL after my FIL passed. She needed help w/the younger two kids and needed someone there when they got home while she was at work and needed help w/the house work. But even then, either or my husband worked, sometimes both of us. We just made sure there was someone home at all times. That lasted nearly 2 years, and was beneficial to everyone involved.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No,I think part of your life goals should be autonomy by age 22 at least. I see no problem with kids living at home while they are in college. They should WANT to have a life of their own! Struggling with your 1st crappy apartment builds character.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Not my kids. They need grow up and get lives of their own. I'm doing everything humanly possible to prepare them for that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• That is up to the parents. I would be ok with it, as long as my child respected the house rules, paid rent, and did her share of chores.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I think that unless they are going to school (college) and need to live at home (because they are away for most of the year and just come home on holidays or because they go to a local college and cannot work enough hours to support themselves) then that's fine but if they aren't in school then they need to move out. I love my kids but I want them to be independent, to have their own places to live their own lives. My oldest is 23 & went to college at 18 and then joined the Army at 19, my 22yo moved out at 18 because he had a job, my 19yo just graduated and is off to the Army and my 18yo will be the only one we still take care of because he's off to college and will only be able to work 9 hours a week on campus because he'll be pre-med and will be playing football. He main jobs are to focus on his school work and football. Parents need to let go at some point.
    Anonymous