How did you prepare to be a mother?

Did you take classes? Read books? Do research on the internet?

Asked by rkoloms at 6:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• You can do all that but it really comes down to how you take on the role once it gets here. You will find that all the things that you read may sound good at the time but may not be applicable to when it actually happens. Trust your mommy instincts, they are right about 99% of the time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I didn't really prepare. I'd been around babies most of my life, w/a brother 3/12 years younger, neighbors, cousins, and a sister who is 17 years younger than me. I already knew about feeding, changing, cpr, baby Heimlich, bathing, most of the basics. The rest, I just winged it. It's worked so far.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• real mothers have maternal instincts and if you need to take classes then you don't have maternal instincts and aren't meant to be a mother. kids aren't toys they're individuals and each one is different yet people seem to think all babies/kids are the same
    Anonymous

• I didn't read any books or anything.. I don't think taking classes makes you a good mom. When the baby comes, you'll know what to do. :)
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 6:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Anon :08...some first time mothers are unsure of their abilities. That doesn't mean that they don't have maternal instincts it just means that they would like to have some idea of what they are in for when the baby comes. It also helps to know that they aren't the only ones to thru some of the issues that come with raising a baby. The things you learn before your baby gets here can give a peace of mind that even though some things may go wrong, they aren't the first ones to be in that position and there is a way to handle everything. Being a mom can sometimes be overwhelming.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Actually none of that! With my first I worked up until my 9th month--then "retired!" And other than doctor's appointments, I swam laps every day, or walked on the treadmill, and took low impact aerobics and prenatal yoga classes at my health club. My husband treated me to a couple of spa days, and I shopped A LOT for the nursery and baby supplies! :o)

With my second, I had everything I needed, I knew what to expect, I was already a SAHM, and I was busy chasing after a 15-23 month old--so I just worked out a few days a week, painted and decorated my older sons room, and re-organized the nursery! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I did all of the above, but other than knowing how to spot Thrush and when to start introducing solids, they didn't help in the real world of being mom. That will all come when the baby comes.

As for anons "maternal instinct" thing. That is total bullshit. There is nothing wrong with trying to prepare yourself. Just know that everything you learn may go out the window depending on the child.

sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I went on mothers intuition and everyone I know has told me I am the best first time mom they have ever seen!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I read many books about pregnancy and childbirth so I knew what to expect. But until you actually have the baby and bring it home, you don't know how it will be and all the advice is just a bunch of "hints" ....you just have to do what you think is best and be in tune with your baby. And don't be afraid to ask questions, ask your Pediatrician or the nurse if you think there is something wrong. And ,of course,love him/her.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Does intuition teach you first aid and CPR? Nutrition?
    Anonymous