Homade Baby food.....apples!!!!

Do you leave the skin on when you make your babys apples? I know alot of the nutrients are in the apples skin but not sure if it makes up well with leaving the skin on?

Softwater

Asked by Softwater at 6:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no,peel them. skins are a choking hazard

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Depends. Skin on if you intend to blend them or to make apple sauce. Of if you use it as a finger food. If you are making an apple sauce (just apples and water is fine) then the skins you should leave on so it thickens up from the natural pectin. Only large pieces of skin are a choking hazard. It just depends on how you intend to serve it. If your baby is able to sit up and can move food with their tongue small chunks and lumps shouldn't pose a problem.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• you need to puree the skins VERY well. there is a lot of fiber in the skin so it's best to keep the skin but you just need to make sure it's totally pureed
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• *OFF not *of if its finger food.

IMHO if you have to puree something to death, baby should not be eating solids. My 8 1/2 month old can handle bits of skin without gagging or choking and has been for 4 weeks when I startedgiving table foods. I don't bother with making her special food. If asparagus is on my plate, that's what she gets.. As long as the pieces are fork mashable or small enough to gum to death. It's just for fun anyway not much for nutrition.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2010