Birth without an epidural- harmful?

I'm really quite confused. My husband was talking to my MIL about our baby-to-be and how this time around I was hoping to not need to be induced and not need an epidural (needed the induction because I did not start contracting after my water broke- waited 24 hours for it to happen, and then the pitocin made my contractions so strong that I couldn't stop throwing up, so the epidural was necessary).

My MIL expressed concern about me not wanting the epidural because she'd heard that women who didn't get the epidural had a higher risk of back problems in the future. I have never heard this before.

Anyone have any info on this? It would be much appreciated. I'm going to Google it, but if anyone has sources that they know of, I'd really love to see them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think that your MIL may have it backwards. Having an epidural can sometimes cause back problems but I've never heard of a med-free birth causing back problems.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• lol, yeah... vice-versa!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I haven't heard of that, but I have heard of the epidural giving a few people back problems. My mom gave birth to me and my brother w/nothing but two regular strength tylenol (apparently the army hospitals are cheap and don't do epidurals, at least not in '83 and '87) and she's never had any back problems.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• lol please don't believe this.
    Anonymous

• OP here- that's what I thought! Which is why I am so confused!
    Anonymous

• Yeah, MIL got it backwards.. Epi's can cause an increased risk of back problems. You are putting something very close to the spinal cord, of course it has a increased risk.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• yeah ur MIL has it totally backwards
    Mom2LexiNJordan

Answer by Mom2LexiNJordan at 6:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I've never heard of what your MIL said. Actually, I think I heard about harmful side-effects after epidurals. Something about spinal fluid, or lack of spinal fluid.

With my first, I thought I wanted pain-killers. Contractions began naturally, and I gave birth naturally & vaginally. With number 2 and 3 I needed pitocin (like you) but still didn't need any pain killers. Gave birth naturally (other than pitocin, of course) and vaginally. No back problems here. = )
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 6:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I didn't have an epi. for my first. but I did my second (it failed though) and I now have back problems since I had the epi. I suggest you google it and find out. I never trust what others say 100%. expecially my crazy MIL.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• She is confused, I had an Epidural , they had to stick me 3 times before they got it right and even now 5 years later I have back pain stemming from it.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 6:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2010