homeschooling in Kansas

Does anyone from Kansas know about homeschooling? We've decided to homeschool our kids for now, because we feel our oldest especially will do better with then one on one. I've looked online, and saw that from 1st-12th grade you had to registar. But it said nothing about prek or kindergarden. Do we have to registar to teach prek as homeschool? Also does anyone know any homeschool groups in the kansas city area?

Apple_Pie2010

Asked by Apple_Pie2010 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can find out what the laws are in your state by visiting HSLDA STATE LAWS. I really do not know Kansas laws but I highly doubt that you will have to register prior to 1st grade, because in MOST states Pre-K and Kindergarten are NOT required. Yes, I know the schools have them. The schools here in Illinois have them too but compulsory law in Illinois does not start until the child is 7, thus Kindergarten and/or Pre-K is NOT a requirement.   Compulsory laws starts at 7 in Kansas too. So I'm confident that you don't have to worry about anything until your child has reach compulsory age.  As for finding a local homeschooling group. I check out your local library, talk w/the children's librarian. Join some of the homeschooling groups here on CM or google search for social sites just for homeschooling mothers. (The Homeschool Lounge).

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• In most states, mandatory education begins with first grade.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• 14 states require half day kindergarten at the least. I know ohio requires it as that is where I live. I am not sure about Kansas. Pre-k is not a requirement in any state at the current time. You can always call the school district in your area and find out if kindergarten is mandatory and that may help you.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:11 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Kanas has an online program that helps with the cirriculum they teach in public schools,,it is free and you have to register,, so your kiddo can take tests and what not,, to make sure they are keeping up,,Missouri has one as well and DH and I are trying to figure out our schedules so we can make it work,,, I don't know about you, but after 3rd or 4th grad we are going to have to do something else,, I also saw on line there is a group that homeschools with a teacher,,,I am not sure how it works, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2010