How old should your toddler be when you transition them into a toddler bed?

I have heard many people say the child has to be at least 2 but my daughter is 14 months and is in her toddler bed just fine. Just wondering what other moms had to say.

anbridges2009

Asked by anbridges2009 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she started trying to get in her crib, it was time. She was 18 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My kids stayed in there cribs tell they grew out of them around 2 or 3. Then they went to regular kid size bed.

Answer by louise2 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Kiwi went to a toddler bed at around 17 months or so, but she didn't start walking until 15 months. I wanted to make sure she could get around okay before putting her in the bed she could get out of.
    We didn't plan to do it that early, but we moved and her crib got broke and it made more sense to just do the toddler bed rather than get another crib for such a short amount of time. Plus, most come w/the rail things so the kid can't roll out.
    She moved to a twin right before turning 5 and loves it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My daughter was 10 months and My son just sarted sleeping in one and he is 11 1/2 months. They both did fine. My son's toddler bed is right next to my bed so I can keep a eye on him. He loves it and can get out of it fine. I say it just depends on the baby. If I try to put him in a crib he just screams and won't sleep all night. In a baby bed he just lays there and sleeps all night.
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 6:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• It depends on the kid. Some do well earlier and some do well later.
    Anonymous

• When your child is ready, would be my answer. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Whenever she's ready. My son was in his crib until 2.5 years, but he'd never even tried to climb out and was perfectly content to sleep there until then. But I know that many kids have successfully climbed out before that age, so waiting that long wouldn't be an option for a lot of people.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I never wasted my time with a toddler bed. When they started walking they went directly into a Queen sized bed.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Never used a toddler bed. When my daughter was 2 we bought a regular single bed and she was just fine in that. Actually we bought that because she could climb off her crib my the age of 2.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 7:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• It definitely all depends on the kid... and the parents. I know of some parents that just don't want the hassle of their child having that kind of freedom. As for my kids, my oldest was out of his crib at 18 months when he first learned to climb out and I just switched our 16 month old last week.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 7:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2010