Toddler with fever for 4+ days - Sinus infection?

My son has been so cranky this entire week, more miserable than usual. Then Thursday I noticed that he had a temp, which wound up being 102.3. Friday, his temp was 102.8 and Saturday it was 103.5, so I took him to the doctor who perscribed an antibiotic, called it a nasal infection and sent us on our way, but he didn't even look in my son's nose! We're two doses into the antibiotic and his temp is right around 101. The loswest I've gotten it since Thursday is 99.9. I'm beginning to get concerned that it's lasting so long and won't flinch no matter what I do - alternating tylenol and motrin, antibiotics, tepid baths, cool cloths, letting him run around naked....does it usually take this long to break a fever ?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like it's a managed fever. Meaning that it's not going out of control while giving meds. If he is fighting an infection, it could take up to a week. As long as the meds are keeping it down, he should be fine. A fever is the body's way of fighting.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• The antibiotics won't help instantly if that is what it is (could easily be a virus too)
    My son was recently sick with an infection (Dr didn't say what... but he had an ear infection and gobs of green goo coming from his eyes and nose) It took 1 day for the fever to break with the antibiotic after 5 days of fever 102-105.... lowest it ever got was 101... with Motrin and Tylenol.
    SO if your son is still spiking temps over 101 after tomorrows doses of antibiotic I might call your pediatrician and see what they think. (anything less than 101 isn't considered a fever)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2010