My 6 year old poops his pants and doesnt wipe weel (or at all)

Any advice or tips???
My son is nearly 6. He had been living w/ relatives due 2 custody issues for over a year. Now that he is home I have come across a problem. He poops his pants. He does fine going potty (haven't had any accident), but he doesnt always go 2 the restroom when he needs 2 poop. He doesnt even tell me when he's had an accident or if I ask him (even though I can smell it) he tells me no that he hasnt. I have also noticed that he doesnt do a very good job of wiping. It looks like he hasnt wipesd at all sometimes. I have purchased flushable wet wipes and told/showed him how to use them. I dont get upset when he does have accidents or doesnt wipe well. Its just a "That ok sweetie. Lets go get you cleaned up" and then once we do I remind him that he needs 2 use the toilet or if he thinks he might have 2 'go' he needs 2 go 2 the toilet and try. I am lost at this point and dont know what to do.
Thanks Moms!!!

mommy2terror

Asked by mommy2terror at 7:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is he constipated at all? There is a condition called encopresis which is basically a chronic constipation that can get to the point that the child loses the sensation that they need to poop and may not realize when they have a poop accident. There can also be issues with more liquidy poop leaking out around the harder stuff that's still in there causing soiled underwear. They often don't tell because they are embarrassed. Maybe try a reward system for pooping in the toilet. It may seem silly but if it works it works. Find something small that he values, and start with that. When he seems to be getting the hang of that then switch to a longer system "if you go 2 weeks without an accident then we will _______ " Keep track of how often he poops too to make sure he's going enough.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• 6yrs old ...he shouldnt be doing that ....Maybe you might consider letting his dr know this , he may can not help this ..or he just dosent wont to take the time to goo...either way once you find out he has no issue with this and its just caused he dosent wont to take the time to go i would set some consequences ,,,
    Anonymous