BREASTFEEDING IMMEDIATELY AFTER BIRTH

I want to do this, but I'm not sure what it means exactly! Do the baby and mama get cleaned up first and then BF before tests on the infant are done? Or is the baby immediately plopped on the mom to feed? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wiped off,vitals are taken while on you,baby feeds,then weighing and such.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I was told it was right after the bay comes out, but I'm glad they took my baby and cleared her blocked airways first.
    Anonymous

• Wouldn't weighing after breastfeeding make the baby weight just a little more than they really did?
    Anonymous

• no,you're not making milk yet at birth,just colostrum. there will be no weight difference

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• So colostrum is weightless? Interesting.
    Anonymous

• I had a c-section and I wasn't able to nurse for about an hour after she was born and they brought me into recovery.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 7:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• for me they got us cleaned took vitals they had to sew my tears then i got to feed her. they gave me the option of having people come in first, but i fed her a while first.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• for my home births we do not clean the babies first. we put them right to the breast, cord still attached and all! they are wiped up a bit, and if they need the mouth and nose cleaned out then that happens too. i just had a baby 1 1/2 weeks ago, we weighed her hours after she was born. my first son actually was placed on my belly, and i swear he shimmied up to my breast! he was tongue tied and didn't get a good latch until he was about 1 day old!
    some babies are too tired to breastfeed right away, so don't worry if it doesn't happen!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• OP: Thank you, ladies. I really appreciate it. Have a delightful day.
    Anonymous

• My baby was given to me an hour after birth. He had to get cleaned up and go to the nursery for some tests.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2010