Correction: Constantine and the church

I previously asked a quesiton though I was so all over the place it didn't make sense lol. Anyway, my question before was about romans and the politics behind the roman catholic church. It was not so much the "romans" that were crazy as the emporers were. From what I have read, it seems that Constantine and others after him really screwed the views on faith. What do you all (who actually know the history) think about him?

WonderWoman1979

Asked by WonderWoman1979 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• cont: do you think Christianity would be as big as it is today?
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• excuse me but I am never anon in my responses. Secondly...I didn't leave out crap. how am I hating Christians? I am asking about the person. My first question wasn't written well and appeared annon and I am not scared to tell you who I am. And so what I changed it? It stil lholds the basic questions I was attempting to ask before. I am not hating on anyone so you can keep on with your high and mighty self
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• i didn't read about the pagans doing any of that hence why i didn't put it on here.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Constantine was crazy.. he heard voices.. and was not mentally all there... wish I could find my book, but a comment was made that alluded to the fact that he only converted because he felt he would fit in better.. with the other "crazies" (not saying all Christians are crazy... just at the time, the ones who claimed to hear the voice of god... ) Other Roman Caesars also had mental problems, and were murdered because they all went bonkers.. so Constantine felt he would be safer as a Christian.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 7:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• oh that is new information Kae..thanks! I know I have to be careful what I read on the internet but mostly it was all the same you know? He def was not all there hah
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• HISTORY Constantine was from Constantinople. He was NOT a Roman and in fact, BECAUSE Rome had the supremacy Constantine was upset and this will lead to the split to the Eastern and Western Churches. Torture was started long before Constantine, in fact, Constantine was a pagan in his early battles. Personally, I think Constantine was a great leader but there are pagans, atheist and others who "screwed the faith" what ever that may mean.

Nero is a good example of a torture the Christian kind of guy
    Anonymous

• History lesson number two, Constantine converted when God revealed a sign to him. He pressed the sign into the helmet of his army and he won the battle.

Now I have heard Christians called mental when they hear the voice of God. It is just a compliment of being Christian. I will take mental Christian lable any day.
    Anonymous

• I am not talking about anything other than Constantine. I have read the history. Just because I don't include everything doesn't mean I don't know. Secondly, if you read my actual question here, I am not talking about him being Roman hence why I restated the question. You really need to get off your high horse. Everything I have read, which I am not saying is totally true, is that he was the one who declared it a state religion after he saw a blazing cross in his dream. That doesn't mean he was an actual Chrsitan by the way. Why are you so defensive?
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Constantine was an emperor like any other. Personally, I have never found his story all that interesting. Do I think Christianity would be what it is today without him? Honestly yes. Because of all the powerhouse rulers which pulled power from the faith, he wasn't one of the worse ones. He wasn't really even the one that got the ball rolling so to speak, he just made a big deal out of jumping on the band wagon.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• You want crazy Christian Roman? Check out Charlemagne... He is noted for killing 4500 people (not warriors, just people) in one day because they were cremating a body, which being a Pagan practice, was seen as death penalty offense under his rule. Another crazy one, although not Roman was Clovis King of the Franks...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2010