History of the Roman Coliseum

What was its purpose? Why was it used? Have you ever been there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have never been but I would love to go one day. As far as the history, how about googling it.
    Anonymous

• my husband has been, I love Roman history(actually studying it now) I think if I am not mistaken and don't quote me on this, that some say it was used as a water tower like thing and also as a stadium type for games and so forth I don't know much else other than that
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• It's on my list of places to see before I die, but so far, I haven't been there...

The original use was similar to a football stadium. It was used for everything from chariot racing, to plays, to gladiator combat... Later on it was used as a trash dump, a Christian Shrine, a "homeless shelter" and eventually a "quarry" of sorts for those who needed the stones...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• The bars where animals were kept without food before being released to trapped Christians in the arena are still there.

'''''''
    Anonymous