born with extra fingers. Polydactyly.

Is anyone familiar with Polydactyly otherwise known as extra digits. well my son was born with 6 fingers on each of his hands. my son was born this past thursday june 3, 2010. the pediatrician at the hospital told that he was unable to remove the extra fingers because he said the base was too thick and if they tried to tie if off with a string it would probably leave a severe scar. so he informed that when my son goes to visit his pediatrician this upcoming week. the pediatrician would decide what is best for my son and possibly he may be referred to a hand surgeon. i am really scared because i want whatever procedure is necessary done on my son asap. how soon do you think they would perform an operation on him? please someone enlighten me on this situation please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why do they have to remove them? My aunt had 6 fingers and 6 toes on both hands and feet and was perfectly fine. I guess the teasing factor may be an issue, but I don't see why it is medically necessary in most cases. Sorry I can't help.
    Anonymous

• A few people in my family were born w/extra fingers. My mom had an extra pinky, but they cut it off because it was just skin and nail, no bone. Just flapping skin. You can't even see the scar. My Mamaw has webbed toes. I think it makes them pretty different and neat.
    What's wrong w/extra fingers? The worst that happens is some teasing. I don't see the point in performing surgery on a newborn just for vanities sake and to prevent a little teasing down the line. If it won't hurt him physically, why not just leave them?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I WOULD DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO DO. FIRST I WOULD GO TO YOUR FIRST PEDS VISIT AND TAKE IT FROM THERE. YOU GET THE BEST DOCTOR. FIND OUT WHO THE HEAD DOC IS AT THE HOSPITAL MEANING PLASTIC SURG.OR WHO EVER YOU NEED TO SEE. THAT IS WHAT I DO. YOU ALSO ASK ALOT OF QUESTIONS IF THE DOCTOR IS NOT ANSWERING THEM THEN YOU MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ONE. YOU FIND OUT AS MUCH INFO AS YOU CAN, I AM SURE THAT EVERYTHING WILL BE OK. "HUGS"
    Anonymous

• First Relax and Do not make any abrupt decisions. Speak to your Pediatrician first. Then It is time for you to do Major research on this. If you want to have the procedure done, research and look for the BEST Doctors and/or Plastic Surgeons in your area. Go to Multiple Specialists and get informed. It was probably Best that they did not do it right away in the Hospital because you don't know who would have done the surgery, it may have been a new inexperienced Dr.

I would find the BEST most EXPERIENCED Dr. but wait until the baby is at least a few months old but the Dr. will tell you when it is safe to do. In the mean time, Congratulations on having a Baby and Thank God he is Healthy and Happy. This is only a cosmetic issue not a Health issue so Love your little one and God Bless!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jun. 7, 2010