What would you do?

How would you handle being criticized in front of your children? Told how awful of a parent you are? Person? Ect? My family has done this non stop for years. She told me how awful I am for asking my SD when she took a bath last. She interuppted me and told me how wrong I was. How I am not doing things right. Yet 10 minutes before this happend she told me how awful my SD was and whining about her going to the store with us. I kicked me mom and sisters out of the house. I feel guilty.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Don't feel guilty about kicking them out. If that happened to me, I would firmly tell whoever it was to quit whatever they were doing, ESP in the presence of my children. And if they continued to do so, I wouldn't allow them in my home. If they did it while you weren't in your home and after you confronted them, simply tell them that respect is earned and if they couldn't respect you, you wouldn't respect them and UNTIL they changed their attitude, they weren't welcome near you or around UR kids.

Would it be hard? Yes. But if they are used to walking all over you and you normally just took it or brushed it aside, they will continue to do this. There has to be an underlying issue that is bugging them and hey, it could be something in their lives and not having anything to do with you. But no matter what it is, they need to stop treating U like crap.

Sorry you have to deal with this. :(
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 7:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No one should be saying things to make yo,u look bad in front of your children. If they have concerns about the way you do things and want to talk to you about those concerns there is a time and a place for everything. I would not have tolerated the situation and I too would have asked them to leave. You have that right. Don't feel guilty. You need to call them up and tell them they were wrong for talking this way in front of your children and that if they have concerns from this point on they need to be discussed in a different setting. Good luck to you.
    MrsAJLaw

Answer by MrsAJLaw at 7:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My mother use to do this also and finally one day I handed mom her purse and told her not to come back. This was after several episodes of me trying to explain not to do this please. One day I just cracked and tossed her. I also felt bad, but she never, ever did it again. Maybe it will help
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Wow my mom used to talk like that in front of my kids. one of my kids had enough and asked her if she hated me and she looked at my son and said what do you think? she has not been over to my house since then. You have to make sure they do not disrespect you in your own house. Sit down when you feel calm and ask her what she thinks she is going to gain from it? After lay down the rules and stick with them. GL Momma

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Well personally I don't keep any toxic people in my life.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2010