pregnancy and smoking

is any of you, moms, smoked during pregnancy ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, you just opened up a HUGE can of worms here!
    I smokes a little (cigarettes) while I was pregnant. I cut back from a full pack a day to about 1/4-1/2 pack a day. My mom didn't smoke, but my dad did all the time around her, two-three packs a day, and around my mom when she was pregnant w/my brother. We both turned out fine, as did my kid.
    Anonymous

• i am sure i did ;)
    Thanks for your answer.
    Anonymous

• I am a smoker, but I really can't understand why anyone would smoke during pregnancy. I personally quit the day I found out I was pregnant with DS and would quit again the day I find out I am pregnant with the next. Every time I take a pregnancy test, I go out and smoke "my last cigarette" while I'm waiting on the results though lol.
    Anonymous

• I would NEVER... and I am a smoker and I quit with both pregnancies and then stupidly started back up again! It makes me sick to see a pregnant woman smoke. If you cant give your baby the best start then how are you going to handle other situations? Not to mention, higher risk of sids, low birth weight, miscarriage, and other health issues YOU created because YOU couldnt put the health of your child first! ( and when I say you I dont mean you personally because I do not know if you smoke!! :) )
    Anonymous

• I quit the day after I found out I was pregnant. Unfortunately I know many children (my niece, my goddaughter, a few cousins...) whose mothers smoked while pregnant (and around their babies after they were born) who either wound up in the NICU for breathing problems after birth or later developed asthma, pneumonia, RSV, or other breathing problems/illnesses that required hospitalization and breathing treatments. Of course I also know some who have been perfectly healthy. But my son didn't have any of these problems, and I didn't smoke while pregnant and I don't allow anyone to smoke indoors with him to this day.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 9:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• To anon :13 ---- Why do you start smoking again if you stop for each child?! LoL (not being mean to u at all!)

I smoked until the day I found out I was pregnant & quit cold turkey. I tried to smoke a cig after getting a positive & WOW couldnt do it. Was no longer good & made me feel guilt like you would not believe. DH smoked too & I just couldnt look at him with a cig in my hand, i felt ashamed.. Quiting was super easy....

I know not everyone can quit. I think if you can quit, do it! But if you cant dont overstress stress is bad on the baby too! Just cut down on smoking & do other healthy things... There are woman that do alot worse during pregnancy --hardcore drugs, alcohol, abusive relationships.. Ive personally never seen anyone's child that was effected by their smoking... but i know that doesnt mean it never happens.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• give me a break. no you should NEVER smoke once you find out ur pregnant! i hope this question was asked by a teenager who does not know better.........
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• TO RILEYMOMMY, OP HERE : No I am not a teenager, and I am with you , and i quit when i just find out ( was 6 years ago ). I just see a lots of pregnant lately whit cigarets....
    Thanks for you reply )
    Anonymous

• i actually have to and it is disgusting and quite sad
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2010