potty training

Did you keep your toddler's training potty in the bathroom, or did you put it in the bedroom, living room, etc. to encourage your child to use it? I keep mine in the bathroom, but my friend had success moving it around.
Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 3 yrold who is delayed I am trying to train she has one seat that goes over the toilet & one mini toilet that she can use anywhere
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I kept one in the living room, and got him a step stool and a potty seat to put on the big potty in the bathroom. We had really good success using the 3 day method.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 8:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• i moved it around... and even now, i actually leave one in their room at night and clean it out in the morning... people may think this is gross, but at night, my girls MUST stay in their room. their room is on one side of the house, my room is on the other... and the bathroom is in between... along with 3 possible exits from the house, without me knowing. (it's happened.)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I kept it in the bathroom, but it was always right between our room and hers and nowhere near the door, plus she couldn't reach the locks on the door so we weren't worried about her leaving. Plus, she'd tried that before at my mom's house and went to the swing set in the backyard before anyone else woke up. Mom got up, found her gone, searched the house then saw her outside. She called me and brought her in and when I got there, we both let her have it, scaring some sense in her. Never tried it again.
    It seems gross to me to have a potty in any room but the bathroom plus it seems to me that they'd need to learn that the bathroom is where you go if you gotta go.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My first only really wanted to use the potty ring on the big toilet (we started her on the potty chair but she started doing much better once we got the ring). Luckily, at that point, we had a house with 3 bathrooms, so it was always easy and quick to get to the bathroom. However, with my second daughter, it's the little potty in the living room. But she was a bit younger, and now we only have one bathroom and it's upstairs, so we're going with it. I think in the best of circumstances, I would say it's best to keep it in the bathroom because then they have to learn from the beginning that going to the potty involves stopping what they are doing and taking care of it. But you have to do what works for you. I think letting a child sit on the potty while watching a show, for example, can be good in the beginning so they become comfortable and aren't resistant, but in the longrun, that's not really how life works!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• We put it in the living room at first, then moved it to the hallway outside the bathroom, and after he mastered that we got a soft potty seat for the toilet and he started using that. He only used it a few days though before he decided he wanted to just sit on the regular toilet.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 4:07 AM on Jun. 7, 2010