3 day potty training

Has anyone tried the 3 day potty thing? how does it work

wyattgrace

Asked by wyattgrace at 8:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did with my son when he was 2 and it worked great! Basically, you get rid of all the diapers and never look back. You buy a bunch of underwear, and it is best to stay home and no go anywhere for a little while if possible. You give them lots to drink, and don't let them out of your site. Every time they start to pee or say they have to pee, you rush them to them to the toilet. We found it worked well that every time he went pee he got a skittle and every time he went poop he got 2 skittles, I also downloaded a dora potty chart from nick jr and he got to put a sticker on it every time he went potty. I think I have the e-book still in my email somewhere, If I can find it, I will email it to you if you'd like.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 8:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No. I heard it's bad to rush them.
    Anonymous

• Well, the 3 day potty training method also says to not start your child with potty training until they show the signs of being ready; such as hiding when they poop, or waking up with a dry diaper. I would also like to add that it is not guaranteed that your child is going to be completely potty trained in 3 days, but it is a huge step in the right direction and not to go back to diapers once you start, because that is just confusing and a waste of time.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 8:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No, I haven't tried it. Why? Because it won't work unless the kid is already 100% ready for it. My kids showed interest very early, like at 15-18 months. Each of them moved much more slowly than the "3-day" method and each took almost a year to be fully trained (including at night).
    Anonymous

• I did this with my first daughter when she was 19 months old. She hardly showed any readiness signs before that (she did hide to poop and say "poop" but she didn't have a clue about when she peed and didn't hold it very long, either). I HIGHLY recommend it... but it doesn't work unless you're absolutely consistent. We were out of the house by day 4, though for relatively brief periods of time. But she was in underwear, no accidents. I think by about day 10 we were in what I would call a good place (she let us know whenever she needed to go, but still had accidents here and there), and after a month the accidents because extremely uncommon. There's a Potty Training Moms Support Group group on CM with tons of information... that's where I got all my info. Best of luck.

ps: although this latest "method" comes from a woman trying to sell an e-book, it's actually a really old, intuitive method and isn't gimicky.
    Anonymous