Does your kid wear a helmet?

for bike riding? My 6 yr old still has his training wheels on, his choice, says he's not ready,and thats fine, I told him its up to him. But he gets mad that I make him wear his helmet. He is the only kid on the cudesac that has to wear one. We don't have really any traffic, we are out in the country, and there are allways adults out, but I still think he should wear it. My MIL says that I just need to relax. I don't make him wear the knee and elbow pads anymore, just the helmet (although he has had a few falls this week that make me want to concider otherwise.),. but jsut looking around at all the other kids, even when we go the the park, it seems that I'm in the minority on bike safty... just wondering Do you make your kid wear a helmet... is there an age that you think its okay for them not to, or some places they have to and others they don't?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 9:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes and we live in a neighborhood that is full of ignorant people so my kids are about the only ones. Google childhood head injuries from falling from bikes etc...you will never rethink your position again. Stick to your guns momma!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't unless they were riding in the street.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Kiwi rides her scooter and bike (the little plastic trike thing she's about outgrown) through the house since our living room and kitchen/dinning area has hard floors. I make her wear a helmet. She hates wearing it inside, but knows she can't get on the riding toy w/out it.
    Same rules apply for outside. If she has wheels underneath her, she has a helmet on her head. She likes wearing it outside, just thinks the inside wearing is silly. But she does it and I plan for her to do it as long as she rides.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I make each of our girls wear one. They are 4 and 2, and they each still have training wheels. We only really ride up & down the sidewalk and in the driveway, but wearing a helmet is a good habit to be in. I really feel like a hypocrite sometimes and I think I should wear one too, but I honestly just don't want to spend the money for a grown-up one.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Yes, they use them always.
    Anonymous

• Mine wear theirs anytime they are outside our yard - it is law they wear them where we live, so it doesn't matter what the argument it - if the kid is on a public road or footpath they should have a helmet ( I think this also applies to babies in car seats on back of the car. To me it is a no-brainer - why wouldn't you insist on them wearing on. It's just like a condom- if it's not on, then you can't do it! Kids get backed over, knocked off bikes and side swiped off footpaths all the time
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• All three of mine wear helmets, they are 6,5 and 2.5. They wouldn't even get on their bikes without one. There is no age that I will tell them they do not have to wear one, they should always wear one, child or as an adult.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Okay, that helps. My 6 yr old has been really wanting to fit in with all the boys that live around us. And he told me he feels like a baby around them because I make him wear it. I've explained why... but he is six and thinks he is indisctuctable... dispite the scrapes of his face from a fall eariler this week. Guess this is just one of those lessons in life to not be a lemming!!!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 9:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My kids all wear one and my oldest is almost 12. It's just a fact of life here, if they're on their bikes (or skateboards, scooters, etc) their helmets are on. They don't fight it at all, maybe because they know they'd lose their biking priviledges if they tried not wearing their helmets.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Yes or they don't ride!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2010