Can a 2 year old be manipulative?

My son just figured out that if he brings me a book I will always read to him. So every time I pick up my laptop he brings me a book. Just bc he doesn't want me on the computer. Even if he was playing just fine by himself right before I decide to use it. So I have started telling him no sometimes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, they can learn at that age to do things just for attention, but I don't think they are deliberately trying to manipulate. They haven't yet learned that their needs are not always the same as their wants, but they are capable of figuring out how to get your attention. Save the computer stuff for when he's sleeping. That's one of the reasons I had to quit working from home when DD was about 18 months old - she would start doing all the off-limits stuff when she knew I was on the computer because she was competeing for my attention.
    Anonymous

• A 2 year old most certainly can be manipulative. However, I don't believe they do it maliciously as adults do, but, they learn very quickly what gets them the attention or whatever it is that they want. Kids are so much smarter than what some adults give them credit for!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• i swear my 1 yr old is manipulative! lol
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 9:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Absolutely. I have seen children as young as one crying GENUINE tears simply to get attention or sympathy. Once they got it, it was "haha look what I made you do". Very clear signals and responses. Mine is one and he's starting it. But I do agree with Blessed. They only do it because they know it works. They don't realize that what they're trying to get you to do is against your better judgment.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Oh yes, they are soooo smart and they learn quick. Wait until he is playing you against the other parent or grandparent or sibling!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Um, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! My son has a whole bag of tricks to try to get what he wants
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:47 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My daughter does the SAME thing with the computer or the telephone. God forbid someone calls me....she immediately gets loud. Little weasels!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• You know what my son has done already? he's 2 - 1/2 and he FAKES being sick - every night he would complain his tummy hurt and I would get a wash cloth, cuddle him and rub his tummy while he cried REAL tears - I've brought him to the Dr's mulitple times and my husband and the DR said the same thing. He's totally PLAYING me, of course I didn't believe it but here I am... 4 months later, he's still doing that and tests are negative that he is really sick - I got tough with him last night and he looked at me like Wow, she means business and told me to go back to my room - WOW.. I was shocked-
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2010