Would you like it if the Senate didn't do this?

If they didn't read any of the bills, if they had no debates, no amendments, and no roll call vote? If they just passed the bills by unanimous consent, without reading them on the floor, without a CBO score? Would that be good or not? Do you think they do this on a regular basis, or not?

Does the Senate do things in secret, without anyone knowing what they are doing? Would you be upset if they DID do this?

Well, hang on to your hats, ladies, they do this for 94% of the bills! Watch the video, or read the article, which has a transcript of a portion of the video. You will be surprised.

Remember that promise to put all the bills on the internet for 3 days before there is a vote on them???? Remember that? It is not being done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B751mhY-QE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/06/demint_on_the_senates_secret_b.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow! I guess that answers the question 'how the hell did that thing pass?'.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Thank you for bringing this up. People need to encounter this fact of politics again and again.

My own reaction is of course speechless fury.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 9:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• This has to be an alternate reality from a parallel universe, or something like that. This can't be real, can it? What am I saying, of course it can be real. Oh, my goodness. Speechless fury is certainly accurate.

I wonder how many will say that is just how politics is done...and go on their way.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Do you also know that  99% of the bills are written by lobbyist and special interest groups and never read by the people voting on them?

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• If they didn't read any of the bills, if they had no debates, no amendments, and no roll call vote? If they just passed the bills by unanimous consent, without reading them on the floor, without a CBO score? Would that be good or not? Do you think they do this on a regular basis, or not?

I thought this was pretty obvious that they didn't do things the way they were supposed to, nor the way they were promised to.  It doesn't make me happy.  In fact, it makes me really upset. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Youtube and a Conservative blog. Are these the reliable sources you guys get your "facts" from? I'm sure when ever we get a Republican majority in congress all of you will be talking about how everything going on is just perfect and wonderful.
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 8:57 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• It's fact that elected officials that were voting on the health care bill said that they wouldn't read it because it would take too long and is too difficult to understand. Well excuse me for expecting someone that wants the job of representing an area of constituents that isn't prepared or willing to actually perform his / her job as it is described. You sound as though you are in favor or the status quo.

I know AL, you are too good for youtube, even if it shows particular people saying particular things that proves a point that someone is making.  It's just easier to dispel these sources as bias and then use the suggestion that you watch a video as a sarcastic slam instead of checking it to see if it's reliable or not.  In your case I suppose anything other than HuffPo just won't do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• ROFL, laziness knows no bounds, does it? Fine, here you go, hand delivered since googling C-Span transcripts is SO DIFFICULT! I mean, it took a whole 45 seconds!!!!

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/videoLibrary/event.php?id=184251#program293690-1

The live video w/ transcript (you'll notice it's the EXACT same thing in the YT video):

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/videoLibrary/clip.php?appid=598193306

If it weren't so pathetic I'd laugh.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:27 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• You guys like do like to parrot what you see on Fox News!!
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 10:06 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

C-Span, sweetie, not fox. You should really learn the difference if you are going to participate in these discussions. One is a non-partisan, non-profit service that broadcasts live and unedited broadcasts of everything that goes on in the house and senate, the other is a news station.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:12 AM on Jun. 7, 2010