Your Schools Curriculum.

Do you pay attention to what your child is being taught in school (and its not sex ed!)
Do you even know that hostory/science in schools are always being changed & are not very accurate. That even politics plays a huge role in what your children are being taught & most parents are not aware just how politics are swaying what your kids learn?
Would you even recognize or care if the books were not accurate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes I do l know what my child is being taught at his school. I love the book the lies my teacher told me. It is truly great and has helped me to explore what we need to do as my son's parents. But changing history has always been part of what we have done. Example: columbus knew there was a continent and he was not hunting for a new passage to India. He was looking for slaves, gold, land, resourses to make him a wealthy man. And it did. We are taught he died poor and unknown. Not true. He was quite rich. But we change history to make him the bigger tragic hero. And of course how they knew there was land in the west is one our Eurocentric books don't like to tell. All I can say is that if we really want our children to learn we have to be willing to learn right along side them and be open to the idea we don't know our own history that well.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• oops! Please forgive spelling errors! WOW. bad typing!
    Anonymous

• I homeschool my children, so I know what they are being taught. To answer your question directly, yes, I do know that schools are always changing what and how they teach. there is a lot that is in accurate, which is why I am glad that we homeschool.
    Anonymous

• Yep! That's a lot of why we chose to home school. We were not happy with the curriculum or the learning environment & that was 20 years ago. The history & science books are so very inaccurate & getting worse every year.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• OP here: I love hearing from homeschoolers, but I am HOPING these are not the only people that stand up & talk! It made me so sad when I ask question about public schools & NO ONE will discuss it, YET they put down homeschoolers, they think Public School is best.. But when it comes to the harder, difficult questions they scatter!
    :(
    Anonymous

• I try to get invloved and be involved but have found it very difficult because like you I have noticed things and have questioned (sp?) them and my kids have had to pay the price with the teachers taking it out on them. I wish I was able to homeschool them. And all I can to is hope for the best. I have not had a good experience with the school system and the teachers.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• i have definitely seen this... and i feel so bad for the teachers, too. i'm in school right now to become a teacher (well... WAS... i'm changing majors... teaching is being dictated too much now) and working in the schools, i have seen some pretty sad stuff that even the higher ups cannot stand, but still can't change. i can't homeschool, but will definitely be supplementing what my girls learn. (and, if their father is able to help with cost, they will be going to private school as soon as possible.)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• What is your point?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• The point being our present is exactly like our past. And we didn't learn. In part because when you lie about it then you don't have a clue about how to handle current day situations. The more things change the more they stay the same. To make real lasting changes you have to have some understanding about how the world works. I am currently reading a great bio on Jefferson. Who was not a Christian. And neither was Thomas Pain. So many of our founders had very differnt ideas about our countryand religion. It is wonderfully complex and interesting. To be spoon fed a version that was not exactly truthful has damaged and polluted our way of life as Americans.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• As a teacher, let me say that I know that curriculum for the state of Georgia forward and backwards and alot of it is accurate. However, just because stuff is in the books, doesnt always means it taught that way. You have to know that teaching is our job, not the book. Alof of teachers, infact many of them teach from what they know is the truth. For example, our kindergarten science books teaches that the moon has its own light and lights the sky up at night. Thats not true and thats not what I teach my students. The moon reflects light from the sun. The books are often known to simplify information so that younger children can understand and it changes as they get older. Im not saying its right but it does. We are teachers its our job. I do research and learn about things when I dont know. im not from Georgia so teaching Georgia history was difficult for me at first but I have learned. Just like any homeschool mom,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jun. 7, 2010