Any moms whos kids wear glasses?

My daughter is 8 and she just got glasses. She is near sighted, so she can't see things that are far away, other than that she can see just fine. Well the doctor told her to wear them all the time, but her eye sight isnt at the point to where she needs to wear them all the time, he said just waer them all the time so you won't lose them. Well when we got home she had them on for around 30 minutes, and then she took them off and told me that everything was blurry and it stayed that way for awhile, but when she put the glasses back on it wasnt blurry anymore. Eventually the blurriness went away. Now I am afraid that the longer she has her glasses on she will lose the eyesight that she already has KWIM? I dont want her to be completely blind when she takes off her glasses, cause thats not the way she is now. Is this normal? What is going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• One of my recently got glasses and was told to wear them during school only, but depends on how she feels she wears them when she thinks she needs to. Tough call - who actually knows what or how they are seeing things? I question it everytime I get an eye glass perscription filled for anyone of us. We put it all in the hands of the doctor.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• It's normal, it's just her eyes readjusting to being on their own. I have worn glasses for almost 10 years, and while I only "have" to have them to read, I try to keep them on all the time because going back and forth just gave me headaches w/my eyes going back and forth w/help and w/out help.
    Kiwi is something-sighted, don't remember, but she has trouble w/stuff close and in the middle, she can see far away just fine. She got them right before she turned 5. She thought it was great at first, she was just like mom and dad and mamaw, granny, well all the grandparents actually :-) but after a couple weeks, it became a chore to keep them on her.
    I'd just have her always wear them. Wearing them more won't make her eyes any worse. I speak from 10 years 4-eyes experience :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Actually, the more she wears them, the less likely she will have her eyes get worse. If she keeps straining to see without them, it will do more harm than good. My son started wearing glasses in 3rd grade. The only reason we got him new ones in 7th grade is because they broke. His prescription has stayed the same ever since.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Thank you that makes me feel better, I just don't want her eyes to get worse!
    Anonymous

• Nothing you can really do about that, either they will or they won't, however, wearing the glasses will actually stall it a little. I have worn glasses since around age 9....mine have gotten a little worse over time, but, I can still see with glasses and contacts.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• It seems as if they were getting worse, she just got them on friday, and now when she takes them off everything is blurry, so of course I assumed it was the glasses. Even if she wears them all the time, I still want her to be able to see for the times she has to take them off. Hopefully her eyes will adjust soon and she'll be ok
    Anonymous

• I have worn glasses since I was nine. If the doctor says she has to wear them all the time then I would think she needs to wear them all the time. Going back and forth will give her headaches and screw her eyesight up even more. My eyes did get progressively worse as a kid but nothing big. At least with the glasses I could see the board at school. Then when I was 23 I got a new pair and my prescription hasn't changed in 10 years. I can't see far away without them but I take them off when I'm reading a book up close otherwise I'm peering under the edge of the frames, lol.
    My mid. dd wears glasses but is far sighted. She's had them since she was 18 months and wears them all the time even though they are technically for reading. She's 7 now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Things probably look really blurry to her after she takes her glasses off because there's such a big difference in her vision with and without the glasses. Its like walking outside on a sunny day after being in a very dark room. It seems much brighter at 1st because there's such a large contrast.
    Anonymous

• I don't think that there is really anything that you can to do "not make her eyes get worse." It really all depends on her body. Two of my 3 wear glasses. Both got them around the same age. DS1's eyes get a little worse each year, but nothing particularly dramatic. Just enough to use the insurance and get new frames. DD on the other hand, got glasses in about the middle of second grade. Within 6 months we already had to get her checked again and new glasses. She went through a huge growth period and her eyes changed. We haven't gone through such a dramatic change again, but around the middle of the school year I can tell her eyes have changed, and always far more than her brother's have.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My oldest has worn reading glasses since he was in second grade and he has had problems like this. The doctor said that it came from too much variation in vision and suggested that he wear his glasses all of the time for a week or two. After those two weeks, he went back to wearing them for reading and has never experienced this again.
    Jackmother239

Answer by Jackmother239 at 12:03 AM on Feb. 16, 2011