what is your opinion on babies watching babyeinstein dvd's? is there an age that is too young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IMO they are boring! Play the cds instead. I read and read and looked and looked for the stats on the effects of TV. I think it is a bit exaggerated. There are some people out there that let their kids watch horrible TV so I think they just say no TV because most people don't put on kid appropriate shows. Sesame street is a great show that is well rounded and teaches kids. I wouldn't say leave it on 8 hours a day but a little Elmo is not going to hurt anybody! I did read though that too much TV makes kids complacent learners. My daughter loves music so I put on her favorite cds and she plays. She does watch a few kid appropriate shows though. She is 2.

IF TV IS SO BAD, THEN WHY OH WHY IS THERE A TV IN EVERY DOCTOR'S WAITING ROOM????????????????????????

A bit hypocritical? I think so
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Google it. Baby Einsteins are BAD FOR BABIES. They have been shown to cause ADD in kids.
    Anonymous

• i started letting my kids watch them at 2 months. not all day or even everyday, just sometimes when i need to be free to cook dinner ect.
    Anonymous

• Why not just talk or sing to the baby?
    Anonymous

• I see nothing wrong with doing it off and on. As long as you aren't relying solely on them as a babysitter. And as long as you don't believe your child will truly be a genius because of it. I do however believe the language nursery to be very good for newborns to listen to. Only because it will expose them to other language patterns and nuances very early on. That way your kid has heard more than just English it's whole life and the formative language development years.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• well i do talk, sing play, cuddle, hold ect, my child of course!!! lol! i just wanted an opnion on how early was to early so i can get a break for a min. i dont expect my child to be a genius from it! just to hold her attention for a few mins while i do something.
    Anonymous

• The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests NO tv/dvds etc. before 2 yrs of age. This is due to all of the research that has come out showing how harmful it can be to baby's development. The more tv time the fewer vocabulary words kids know, the higher the rates of ADHD later in life etc.
    Most babies are just as happy to watch mommy while she does something, especially if you talk to baby while you are doing it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• At our house, it was no TV before age 3

Answer by rkoloms at 10:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• There's not a tv in my doctor's waiting room... He has a table, chairs, activity mat, wooden toys, & books. When I asked him why (just out of curiosity), he said, "Kids can do a million better things than watch tv." Yet another reason why I am happy with my doctor :)

I agree with no tv before 2. There's no need. You can just as easily give them toys to play with.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 11:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• He is right! Where do you live? In PA most offices have them. ;(
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2010