Unemployment - does IDES pay for school?

I heard from someone unemployed that you can get free college? Is this true? I've never heard of it? My DH is unemployed and would love to go back to school. The field he is in is lacking work since the economy has been bad. This year alone he's had 4 jobs all lasting about 3 weeks. =(
Just wondering. Thank YOU ladies!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in

• My DF and I both go to school for basically free. We get grants, and then we get loans. Our grants almost completely cover our classes, the loans we take to help cover expenses, since he isn't working and I am only working PT. So we will still have student loans, but if we didn't need the extra money, we would hardly have any loans at all.
    Have your DH go on the fafsa website (make sure it is fafsa.ed.gov there are many others that are not the official site). He can fill it all out, and it will tell him what his EFC (estimated family contribution) is...mine and DFs is always 0. Which means we are estimated to not have to pay for school.
    Basically, because we are below poverty level and we each have a dependent, we qualify for grants. We also apply for scholarships which your DH can do too, many are offered for low income parents and plenty of other reasons! Good luck, I hope it works out for him, and you :)
    TJandKarasMom

Answer by TJandKarasMom at 10:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• IDES does not pay for school. They do offer job training; he should go to his assigned office.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I know a man who is on unemployment and it is paying for his school by grants and money put onto a debit card that he uses to pay the school, for books and any other expenses. This is in addition to his unemployment check he gets. I'd have him talk to the unemployment office. I don't know if they are the ones who pay for it, but I do know you can get it paid for if you are on it. And here, they will continue to pay the unemployment while in school.
    Kind of makes me wish I'd gotten laid off or fired for no reason!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• If you think about it..maybe I wish that too! LOL! I'm paying more for school than what I bring home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Has he looked into WIA (Workforce Investment Act)? I know several people who have been laid off and have used this program to further their education.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Unemployment does NOT pay for college, it is a totally different and separate program. He can look into the WIA or Dislocated Worker Program to see if your state has enough in it's funds to pay for school. I get funding from the Dislocated Worker Program, NOT from unemployment. I also get grants and loans from financial aid, in the off chance that the state runs our of grant money for the Dislocated Worker Program. Right now in Kenosha, WI there are over 300 people on the waiting list for the WIA program funds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• have him apply for a grant with no income you will get it. Typically at a community college this will cover all tution and books.
    Anonymous