If you have more than one child, do they all have different body types or similar?

I've noticed comments a lot people will make about one child's body type being so different from one of their other kids, like they will buy ahead for a new baby and that baby will be completely different from their other child. Now I'm curious if it's more common for siblings to have similar shapes or be very different.

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have 4 kids and they do have different body types. My oldest daughter is very petite. She barely grows and is just 4' tall and 45lbs at 10 years old. My middle daughter is 2 years younger but already wears a bigger size then her sister even though they are about the same height and she only weighs about 5lbs more. She just has more curves then her sister and is actually growing. My youngest daughter is built more like the oldest but is much taller then the oldest was at the same age and growing fast. In fact at 4 years old she is the same size the oldest was at 6.
    And then there's my son who is the complete opposite of the girls. He has always been big for his age and grows like a frickin' weed. He's already 6" taller then his older sister (she's 15 months older) and outweighs her by like 20lbs. He's all muscle, no fat on him. He'll be 9 in October and moving into size 12 pants.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• So far (with my youngest being only 4 months old) my children have all had very similar body types. My daughter was much smaller, but still had generally the same height/weight ratio as my boys. My boys were 1 1/2 lbs different at birth (since one was 3 weeks later than they other) but from 6 weeks to 4 months so far my younger son has been the exact same size (within 2 oz) of his big brother.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I only have the one kid, but my siblings are much different than me. When I was born, I was short and tiny, and a week over due. My brother was almost a week early and was really long and very chubby. My sister (technically half sister, but there is NOTHING half about her) was born at average weight and length. Now, my brother, 23 is tall and he was really skinny until her spent a year in jail and put on a few. I'm short, only 5'3" and a little on the hefty side, my sister is a little short and average weight.
    I was in premie clothes for the first almost three months, and my brother went strait to 3-6 to accommodate his length and was only in those for a month or two before moving up a size. My sister was in 0-3 at birth and pretty much moved up according to the sizes.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• i have twin boys the older one eats alot and is super skinny and then the younger one lives on peanut butter and milk is a chunky monster... i generally have noticed that the second child is bigger then the first idk
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 10:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• well my brothers have dramatically different body types, one is shorter and stocky and the other is long and lean, my sisters and I are all similar: tall and slim, I only have one kid so can't answer that for my children yet :)
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My oldest and my daughter are very average - right down the middle 50%. They also have wide feet and hands - they are built like their dad. My middle son has very petite features. He's tall, but extremely thin (I have to buy slims with adjustable waists to tighten them even more. His fingers and feet are long and skinny as well - I'm not tall, but my brother is and everyone on my side has the same petite features. They were all roughly the same when they were born, but the differences are becoming even more pronounced as they grow up.

Answer by missanc at 6:42 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My first son was average in size, shape etc
    second kept her baby fat a long time
    3rd skinny and boney
    4th skinny and boney
    5th keeping his baby fat so far too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2010