Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of doctor should I go to?

My breasts have been hurting none stop for days. It's normal for them to be tender since I still lactate but this is more than that. They actually hurt. Even my bra just touching them hurts. I'm not getting a pap right now but would like a check-up. I'd like to get my thyroid checked and some other blood work. My question is, should I go to a gyno or my family physician?

Answer Question

Asked by SaraP1989 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 14 (1,621 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Family md. Potentially you may just have a yeast infection or it could be Raynauds syndrome (which I had)

    Answer by Jademom07 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

  • If your md thinks you need further follow up with a gyno,,he or she will refer you out

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

  • YOur GYN-- you may have a mastitis --they should culture since very often it is a yeast problem and an antibiotic would be the wrong rx for that

    Answer by MELRN at 10:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

  • A yeast infection would affect my breasts? I don't have any discharge or itching?

    Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

  • Yes yeast can infect your breasts. It presents as a burning for the most part, but can have other symptoms. It can also pass on to the baby as thrush in the mouth, in which case you both need to be treated. But like previous said, could also be mastitis. But I would go to an MD if I were you given you need other blood work done also.

    Answer by AK_aries at 11:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

  • I'm not still breastfeeding just still lactating.

    Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

  • We only see a family doctor.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • OBGYN for your breasts & blood work then if there is a problem with your thyroid, an Endocrinologist. Most reg. Dr.'s are not as knowledgeable about the thyroid as an Endocrinologist. You will have to see one regularly if there is a problem with your Thyroid also.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • It depends on your insurance.
    Most insurance policies require that you see your primary care physician first (your family doc) and they will refer you to the proper specialists if they can not help you. They will submit the referral to your insurance and you will need to find the specialist who is within your insurance network....meaning, they accept your insurance. When making an appointment, you need to ask if they are accepting new patients with your insurance, unless you are established with them already.
    Since you are lactating, if it is within the 6 weeks after giving birth, then you are still qualified to see your OB/GYN without another referral. Past that time will require a new referral.
    Most PCP's can do your bloodwork themselves or send you to a lab and see you again to give you the results.
    Hope you feel well soon.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:07 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Just for Fun
Face masks......

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
I need help! Urgent!