Cloth diapers: cons and pros .

Moms, what do you think is better ( and chipper ;) ). Whith my 1 st one it did't even cross my mine to use cloth one, but I hear and see so much now.
Thanks.

laygla

Asked by laygla at 10:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-7 Credits)
  • I think Cloth diapers are soooo disgusting.
    Anonymous

• its not so bad for the first months when breast feeding... the poop is not too bad, but when they start eating food it becomes gross and a lot of work. try gdiapers.
    Anonymous

• I thought they were disgusting when DS was a baby 4 years ago... But it has actually crossed my mind a little about trying them with the next one. I don't know the pros and cons, but I'd like to see where this goes.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 10:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Pros: Better for the environment, cheaper in the long run since you only have to buy diapers once (or once per size if you don't use single-sizes), I've heard it can be easier to potty train because they actually feel the wetness instead of it being sucked away from them

Cons: You have to wash them (ick...), it's harder to go out because of having to worry about where to put a dirty diaper until you get it home, the start-up cost is huge (unless you have leftovers from your first)

If I was staying home with my kids and not working and leaving them with someone else, and if I had my own washing machine instead of using a laundromat once a week, I'd probably use cloth.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• http://www.louisianacottontails.com/id1.html

After reading this, I will mostly cloth diaper any subsequent children. I never thought about it before, but, they would be healthier...

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I use prefolds and old fashioned flats with thirsties covers. In my opinion not only are they the most economical and versatile, but they are also the easiest to launder and take care of. They also contain breastfeed poop exceptionally well. We've never had a leaking problem or a blow out in 8 1/2 months of use. Thirsties duos fit my slender baby the bests, but there are lots of brands.

I don't know why people think cloth diapers are grosser than a chemical filled disposable that most people leave on for way too long and also wait way too long to introduce a potty, not to mention that way too many people throw their poopie disposable in the trash instead of dumping the poop in the toilet like they are supposed to (with the exception of newborn poo which is too liquidy) so it can go into sewage...solid poop isn't not supposed to go in the trash. THAT is gross.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• By the way, you are supposed to bring your disposables home to dispose of. You aren't supposed to put them into public receptacles -- especially full of feces.

Disposables also have a very distinctive and very bad odor. When you cloth diaper and you go into someones nursery, you can smell the disposables. It is REALLY strong. Diaper genies are wasteful too and you might as well throw your money in it. Disposables also don't break down and can even cause diaper rash (the super absorbent ones are known for this). We don't have poop in our trash, it all goes in the toilet so you don't smell it (and breastfed poop didn't have much of an odor). We store the diapers in a small rubbermaid bin with a lid and line it with washable wet bag. It just gets dumped in the laundry without being touched. We also use cloth wipes by the way.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2010