Do you use your kid's middle name to get their attention?

I do. Kiwi knows that I mean business if all I say is "SueAnn".

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes and it works everytime. Why is that?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Nope. I just use her full first name instead of just "Andy". She knows we mean business when "Andromeda" gets yelled.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 10:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Sometimes. But he goes by his middle name so he usually doesn't know who I'm talking about.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I don't use their middle names. I wasn't sure if they even knew their middle names, so I just asked them. My oldest knew his middle name, and my youngest didn't. They will be 8 and 5 this month.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• We call our kids by their first and middle names all the time. Don't know why, something from my mom's side of the family that I picked up (they all do that). They know their in trouble by the tone I use when saying their name. My husband calls our middle child by her middle name when he's being silly. I don't know why. He doesn't do it with the other kids, just her and she answers to it. Her name is Brenna Caitlen and he calls her just Caitlen all the time. I guess that's Daddy's special name for her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I do, I swear i'm yelling "GAVIN RILEY!" 50 times a day. When dh and I talk about baby names for the next kiddo I also yell the names together to see if it fits when trying to get their attention lol I know i'm not alone in that one!.. I hope LOL
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 10:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I just asked Kiwi if she knew her middle name and she looked at me like I was an idiot. She said "yes mom. But don't ask me to spell it". She's five and I think I'm raising quite the smartass.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I do...he is Braden until I am pissed, then, he morphs into Braden Alexander. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Yes! When I meam business, I call her "Victoria Mae" or "Miss Mae".
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• LOL - my kids are older teens, and I still do the whole "first and middle name" thing when they're in trouble. Something funny that happened once though was I was out and about with my kids and one of their friends. My ds's middle name is the same as his friend's first name. My ds was in trouble and I said "___ ____" - you better stop right now! His friend (who wasn't doing the same thing my ds was doing) snapped his head around all worried, he thought I was yelling at him, too.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:06 AM on Jun. 7, 2010