So today my 17 yr old dd and I argued about air, anyone with teens go through this?

Im serious. She wakes up in such a bad mood now. I work super early everyday and even on the weekend I was up and did laundry before 8. Let her sleep though, as always. But she comes down stairs and I have the front door open with the screen locked. I really love fresh air to go through the house when we are home. She went over and shut the door. We have had the fresh air arguement for years about her bedroom, she wants it like a cave, fine,,keep it like a cave. But the entry to the house is off limits for her to shut down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• It takes two to argue. Why would you let her pull you into an argument about air? You should have laughed at her and walked away.She's a kid. I'd expect it from her but you are a grown woman.
    Anonymous

• anon 00,,i bet you dont even have teens! Wow how bashing of you my dear...the mom was looking for other mothers of teens to relate with,,,and you just come in here and bash the mom,,,,,job well done
    Anonymous

• teens argue about anything when they dont get their way. i would have ignored her and opened it back up
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• wow, who does she think she is? i would have reopened the door..if she don't like it..well theres the door!
    and it's always easier said then done to not be pulled into an arguement...esp. with a teenager who knows everything (which they ALL do!)
    eatmyshorts

Answer by eatmyshorts at 11:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• eatmyshorts.... not all teens are like that, that is sterotyping ..... No need to argue, you are the parent. Do what you want, tell her if she doesn't like it that is too damn bad. When she is self supporting and on her own she can do things the way she wants to.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I have a son who will ALWAYS shut the front door when he comes downstairs.....and I tell him to re-open it. we don't argue about it but he does have issues with it and if he could argue about air, he would. He tries to argue about just about everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Yeah I have stupid arguments with my daughters. My husband tells me to be the adult. So then I argue with him. Nice huh? That is how it is sometimes. If by the grace of god you live through these years you will be the wiser.
    I think the teens want to control their environment. I understand it, I don't agree completely because I want to have my house a certain way too. So for the most part I let them make some choices. Clothes to a certain point are their choices. I have some standards I will not allow them to cross. Food is a issue b/c I have two who are vegetarians and I am not. I still bend with that.
    Some battles are not worth having. Some are. You have to make the decision which ones are. I know sometimes they are just looking for a fight. Grrr, just try to think back to when you were a teen. If your kid wakes up angry then stay back. Keep the hostility out of your voice. You will make it! You have to! Good luck.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2010