Iv'e always payed my bills on time, but now that i lost my job a couple of bills went into collections & I truley cannot not pay them not even on a partial payment plan, can I get in serious trouble if theses agencys don't get paid??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• paid oops
    Anonymous

• no you wont get into trouble, like going to jail, but you will have whatever goes into collections put onto your credit report and it will stay there for i think its 7 years from the last date of contact you have with them. i have tons of things in collection! smh!
    Anonymous

• It kills me that my name is in bad standing but I don't have a choice & 7 years is a long time but what can I do................nothing
    Anonymous

• You don't go to jail or anything for it, but they can garnish wages as soon as they find out your working when you find a job. I have so many things in collection, I've lost count. I still get a letter from a movie rental place that I still owe .75 in a late fee for a vhs tape I rented almost 10 years ago. In every letter they threaten legal action if I don't pay. I've not paid more out of curiosity than anything else. They can also garnish your bank account w/out telling you. I've had that happen from medical bills, or an apartment lease that got broke (not sure which, it was the same lawyer), and it really messed us up, bounced checks all kinds of crap. So we don't do bank accounts any more, it's all cash for us now.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• anon 11, there are laws to protect you. If the bill is over a certain amount of time they cannot come after you. Heard that on the radio talk show I listen to where this guy is Handle on the law. They have so much time, and then it runs out. good luck
    Anonymous

• Aww, I miss Handle on the Law. He's awesome. Anon, sigh. But to answer the question, yeah, they will pass your debt around from one collection agency to another. One may get ornery and take you to court, but you can't get blood from a stone, really.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Go to the public library and borrow the book called "Debt Cure$ 'They' Don't Want You to Know About" by Kevin Trudeau. It is helping us a lot with our credit problems because my husband was between jobs and then the new job only pays half of what his old job paid, which means there are some bills that we absolutely cannot pay.
    I wish you the best!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't read anything by Kevin Trudeau, he's a con-artist. He was convicted of larceny and credit card fraud in the early 1990s, and in 1998 paid a $500,000 fine for making false or misleading claims in his infomercials. In 2004 he agreed to a lifetime ban on promoting products via infomercials, excluding his books. Chuck Jaffee, a columnist at CBS MarketWatch, stated: "Truth be told, most of the information [in the book] is readily available in personal finance columns you can find online or in books that are readily available in your local library.

TO The OP: Anytime anything goes to collection is hurts your credit score. It is my personal understanding that's the worst that can happen. If the collection agency doesn't get your money they will just pass it on to new agency. It's my understanding the more it's passed the lower the "bill".
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• go to ftc.gov and read your rights as a consumer and what collections agencies are actually LEGALLY allowed to do...they break many laws so make sure you are not a victim, if you are a victim sue their asses.....hang in there
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 6:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2010