Public Assistance

Do you believe that EVERY person on public assistance is lazy/careless? Does it matter to you what KIND of PA they're on? Like just food stamps or just health insurance? Does WIC fit into that, and what do you think of WIC? And does it matter why or how long? Just curious, don't make any assumptions about me.

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think in this economy you should be lucky to get food stamps. This type of question proves that little knowledge is had about the "system". To even get food stamps you have to be working in most cases. Wic is given to just about anybody. It really has little to do with income.....I don't get food stamps Medicaid, Wic or anything, wish I did.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No. Some truly need the help. I may be biased though. We get medical coverage for our daughter. I'm very glad we do though. She was born w/a heart problem that required two surgeries, and two emergency helicopter flights from here (ky) to Nashville, about 2 hours away by car. The flights alone cost close to $50,000 each.
    We aren't lazy, there has never been a time when at least one of us wasn't working, most of the time, we both were. I'm staying home w/her now due to her recovery from the last surgery because most people don't know what to look for if the heart problem comes back, and how to react if it does.
    Right now, we don't pay anything for the coverage, at times, we paid $20 a month for it and paid it happily because it covered everything and $20 is not a lot to pay for it.
    I think wic fits in w/PA, but it's a good thing, especially if a mom planned to breastfeed then couldn't. It helps w/formula.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• We all know its different in every case. EVERYONE knows that. We all know we shouldn't judge others because we don't know there position in life.

And it may one day be you on PA. One just never knows.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• you do not have to work to get food stamps! I think people think bad of WIC when really income limits are higher for WIC than typical assistance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• OP here: I am on WIC and my son gets insurance through the state, but we're looking into insurance through hubby's work since they're getting better about what they're offering. I just didn't want anyone to think I was biased or trying to start a fight. i have seen people working the system, but there are also those who I see genuinely trying to get off PA. I think the only people who should get PA are those who are actively trying to afford to be off PA. Hubby and I do that, but we don't have anyone who can babysit so I am a SAHM because any job I would have would only be able to pay for daycare, which is pointless if I just stay home. We cut down on costs as often as possible, though. It's only right.
    Istrickland: I agree with you. But I have noticed a lot of people making snap judgments just because someone is on PA, and I understand why they do, but I don't think they're right for doing it. I like your point of view.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 12:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I think the system is flawed. There are people living in govt funded housing but drive BMWs and Lexus's? How are they getting the loans for these cars but still able to qualify for PA. My husbands a cop. He works & works & there are some months we still fall short but cant even get short term assistance. How is that fair? He pays taxes EVERY month, but we cant get a break even once a year.

I do think their should be a time limit on PA. 4 years.The govt will help you with school, housing, food ect. Its Enough time for you to go to school & get a degree. If you dont go & better yourself your choice- but your choice shouldnt be on someone else dime for the next 20yrs.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Totally agree with you on the flawed system, pink. I've seen it too where it doesn't make sense that people can afford that stuff when they're on PA. We do have a car that we're paying off in the next few months, but we're also going to be off PA soon, too. YAY!!!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2010