My husband thinks that "SPANKING" is the best way to "EDUCATE"?

...and I must say I tottaly disagree. I was never spanked and he thinks that is the only way to teach a lesson, How do I talk that out of him? and HOw do you educate your lil.ones?

vania_jmz

Asked by vania_jmz at 11:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• You and hubby should have had this conversation and made sure you see eye to eye on this before kids. I'm with him, I'm a spanker.
    Anonymous

• Show him research that says it doesn't work or do anything positive. I wouldn't let him touch my kid. Especially if he's so set on it. He's more likely to loose his temper and cause a lot of harm. You didn't discuss discipline before you had kids?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I have never spanked my 23 month old daughter, and don't ever planned on doing so. I teach her by giving logical consequences. For example, if she throws her food on the floor, then she has to clean it up. If she refuses to put on her shoes, then she doesn't get to go to the park until she does. If she decides to run away from mommy while on a walk, thrn she gets to sit in the stroller for the rest of the outing, etc. So far it's been working great.

I also model the behavior that I want her to display. I say please and thank you, I don't yell, I don't hit her or hurt her in any way.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Sorry. We are a spanking (NOT beating) family. There is a HUGE difference between spanking as a for of discipline & beating your child(ren).
    eblstanford

Answer by eblstanford at 12:13 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Spanking works short term (for some) but it's a loose-loose situation in the long term (for everyone).
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 12:13 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Thank you girls' He is more of a...tell them 3 times and by the third he will *only* spank in th behind..but I still disagree, what I do I usually ground them in a corner or wont let them watch nick jr. the whole daay. THANK U ALL FOR YOU SUGGESTION THEY COUNT A LOT!
    vania_jmz

Answer by vania_jmz at 12:19 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I 100% believe in spanking kids when they need it. People that spank there kids aren't beating them. I love the people with look at all the research... then why are kids becoming more and more disrespectful and unruly
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• why are kids becoming more and more disrespectful and unruly

I have only seen this description in spanked kids. And BTW some parents swear they don't spank but they do.

cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 12:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I think we all do at some point!!
    vania_jmz

Answer by vania_jmz at 12:23 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

•  I have only seen this description in spanked kids. And BTW some parents swear they don't spank but they do.

Thats a lie.  The teens that end up Maury for bootcamp obviously didnt get spanked.  Yet they got their parents crying because they are beating up and disrespecting the parents.  These spoiled brats whose parents give them everything and when someone tells them no, they want to kill everybody obviously didnt get spanked either.  Discipline comes in many forms, but not disciplining your kids is just as bad.  I am a believer in spanking with its necessary.  I also use time out and I take things away. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2010