What do you plan to do with your kids to help them remember some school?

I'd like them to keep studying & reading but can't seem to know when to get starte. I mean do we do it early in the morning, mid day, or the evening and not to mention and for how long? I don't want to make them feel they are back in school on their summer vacation. thanks ladies ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i bought him a work book and flash card with sight words and we are going to be reading
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• i just make him do stuff if we are in the house and he wants to watch cartoons or something i will tell him lets work on his book first or his words before watching toons
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• We always have "reading time" for an hour after lunch. They go to their own rooms and can read a book of their choice, but they have to stay in their rooms and read. I'm a quick reader and can read enough of their books in about 15 mins every night to get the gist of the story enough to ask them some comprehension questions.
    For math - my 4th grader is so far ahead of his class in math that I don't really worry about him. For my 3rd grader we have the math blaster video game that she can play everyday to brush up on her math facts. And they both like Sudoku which exercises their minds.
    When they were younger I would go to the bookstore and buy the reading and math books for the next grade up in school. If they finished them before the end of the summer, they got a surprise - usually a small toy they had been wanting or a trip to the movies.

Answer by missanc at 6:57 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Nothing really. I usually give them a week of no school pressure and then after that they have to read for 15-20 minutes every morning before they are allowed out of the house to do whatever they want. When it's hot and they want to go swimming they usually get their reading done fast so they can get in the pool.
    Otherwise I don't do schooling in the summer...unless the kids want to do it. Sometimes they like to do some of the funner sheets their teachers send home.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:49 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Our school sends home packets of work to do over the summer. We also do the summer reading program with our local library (great prizes for every two hours they read!) There are books that help you incorporate learning into your daily activities, also.- My son loves the math suggestions.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 5:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My daughter has many work books that I am still going to have to work on. Also 1 book a day for her to read herself. She is going into 2nd grade, and I want her to remember what she learned and not have trouble at the beginning of the school year.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2010